196Baja runs good on bench, crappy on bike

buckeye

I am confused. Got this Baja 196cc running great on bench. It loaded a little on idle, but tolerable. Put it back on the Heat and won' t run for crap. Stock everything. What cha think?

Motra

Sounds like you better leave it on the bench!

Actually, an engine can sound fine when it's run without a load on it but when you put a load on it the problem becomes apparent. It's probably a carburetor issue.

buckeye

That's a good one. Scares the dog. Nothing to adjust. It wouldn't start so that's why it ended up on the bench. Adjusted the valves to .004 and.006. Starts right up. Thought it was all good. Slapped that puupy back on and blaaaah.

Probably a bit lean.
DOes not take much to screw these rigth up.

Strip and clean the carb.
Normaly this is a no no but if you have some tiny drill bits find one that fits inside the main jet and just give it a bit of a rub. Real gentle your not trying to make this hole bigger just scrape it out since there is likely some varnish there and its a bit lean from the get go anyways so if you marginaly made it larger thats in you favour.

The idel jet is a bit trickier to find something to fit ( I think its around .017 or .018 ) you realy don't want to force anything in there bit if you have a thumb drill small enough just give it a rub.

Generaly I will not make these sugestions but. As long as your not rying to make anything bigger it should not hurt.

Pop the cap off the idel air screw and see if it can be brought in a little to richen things up.

You already know most of the tricks if you read a lot.

GX140 Etube increases the vacume signal on the main jet.
Richens up the transition from the low to high speed.
One drill size up on the main jet richens the midrange to the top end more broadly
On drill size on the idel gives you a better idel and more responsive low speed.

An idle air screw from a small Hyundai portable generator fits the clone carb( generaly ).
Hard to find a good clone screw these day with a slot in it thats why I mention it.

I have not tried this and will probably get an earfull for sugesting it but I think a carb off a Tech 8 hp engine would be a good place to start looking for cheap and easier carb ( provided its a pre emission version, I would not waste time with anything newer ).
Next sugestion I am going to float is a carb off a larger displacement Tech in the 200 to 300 cc range from an OHV motor would probably be the ideal choice ( designed to be a bit leaner on the top because OHV motors are a little more sensative to over fueling that flat heads ).
I don't know a lot about the specifics of them and never have been fond of this engine at all but they did have a decent carb that was easy to adjsut and never seemed to need as much attention as others out there.

Last edited:

joekd

If all else fails I will have an OEM warrior 6.5 motor that I am pulling off the bike before the end of the month, starts right up, idles fine and pulls strong

buckeye

Oldsalt, thank you for suggestion. I am a greenhorn on this stuff. Might be over my head. Also, thanks for the engine offer. I have a blue clone comming next month if needed to do a swap. Is there a way to test under load on the bench? I might just pull it off and slap a flatty on this weekend. I really want to get this running though. You think if I move the gov arm to a different hole would help? It's in the first hole on the arm now. Or readjust the valves to .005 and .007 would make a diff? Thanks for your reply's.

Oldsalt, thank you for suggestion. I am a greenhorn on this stuff. Might be over my head. Also, thanks for the engine offer. I have a blue clone comming next month if needed to do a swap. Is there a way to test under load on the bench? I might just pull it off and slap a flatty on this weekend. I really want to get this running though. You think if I move the gov arm to a different hole would help? It's in the first hole on the arm now. Or readjust the valves to .005 and .007 would make a diff? Thanks for your reply's.
NP adice is as cheap as dirt.....

buckeye

Anymore thoughts? It is still on the frame and was wondering if there is any other suggestions befor I pull the thing off. Thanks in advance.

not that it's part of the problem, but the valves sound like you've got too much slop in them at that setting.
I usually go .003 for both on my clones/GX200 engines

Motra

Pretty sure I did. Piston at top of cylinder, intake starting to open. Right?
If the intake is starting to open then you're on the exhaust/intake stroke. Roll the engine over slowly with the spark plug out and watch the valves. The exhaust will open and close then the intake will open and close. After the intake closes, keep rotating slowly while watching the piston. When it reaches TDC that's when you adjust the valves. Stock Honda specs are .006 for the intake and .008 for the exhaust.

Motra

maybe I need to shut my mouth unless I'm running a stock engine :doah::laugh:
I didn't see your reply until after I posted that. Stock Honda specs are pretty loose but that's what they are. I agree a performance engine should run tighter clearances and I'm sure a stock engine could too.

Dad used to say if you can;t hear the valves they are probably too tight.

He would be offended today because I run ZERO lash.
That means non or as close as I can get to that point.

MORE than .003 or more not going to prevent an engine from running but it might cost you a race. A lot more lash than that is needed to prevent an engine from running however. Things literaly need to fall a part....

MORE lash will only stop an engine when it becomes so excessive things fall to pieces or break.

Motra

Dad used to say if you can;t hear the valves they are probably too tight.

He would be offended today because I run ZERO lash.
That means non or as close as I can get to that point.

MORE than .003 or more not going to prevent an engine from running but it might cost you a race. A lot more lash than that is needed to prevent an engine from running however. Things literaly need to fall a part....

MORE lash will only stop an engine when it becomes so excessive things fall to pieces or break.
Old timers have some interesting viewpoints. Dad was probably right when it comes to old engines.

I've seen engines still running (badly) with damn near 1/4" gap.

buckeye

Uhhht oooh. Might be the issue. I adjusted the valves at tdc when the intake started to open. A little early huh? I had the plug out. Thats how I knew I was at tdc. So also may not be opening thevalve setting enough ,as I did .003 and.006 Gues it's take it off the frame again. Is there a way to test it under load without it on the bike? You'll are awsome with the help. I can handle Briggs and Tecs but as I told Grant in pm, I am a dork with da clone.

buckeye

Runs perfect 1/2 choked, Alot better than it was. Much much better. Unless there are any other suggestions, I am goona call it fixed(for now).

I have a push mower that I screwed a washer down over the opening of the carb just so, that it restricts just a little, like having the choke on 1/4 or something all the time.. Thats a pretty simple way to experiment and stuff... I just left it on the push mower.. Fck it, it works fine.. :laugh: