1974 Alsport Trisport RTS 340 SL Restore / Rebuild thread

Rebuild the walbro or get a different carb

• Total voters
I know it's really frustrating when a motor will not start. You could have carb trouble, I put new carb kits in mine last year and they were only 10 bucks each. Try pulling the line from the carb to the crank case, pull the plugs and raise the front tire a couple feet. Pull it over until there is not a drop of fuel in the crank case. It has saved my arm a lot of times doing this to start a 2 stroke. Don't get to upset you will get it going.

Right now I've got the front end about 5 foot in the air with the drain plugs and spark plugs pulled. Got some fuel draining so I'll let it sit overnight and get after it again tomorrow.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Can you take a photo of your Engine / Muffler / Tank set up?

A bad crank seal could be a big problem when it comes to starting and running.

Your Impulse line ( fuel pump line ) should come off the clutch side of the crank case.
Reason: If the seal is gone, it will not pump fuel ( this way you know you have a problem )

You can check and see if your fuel pump is working just by seeing if fuel is coming out the return line.
( Most carbs have them, some don't )

One way to check if its a carb issue, Remove the fuel line. So now you have no fuel system.
Take a squirt bottle with mixed fuel an squirt a bit in the carb ( nothing too heavy ) It should fire and run for as long as there is fuel.

Now once it is running you should be able to keep it going with a little shot of fuel once every little bit.
Might even get to set your idle if your lucky.

Now try it with your fuel line hooked up.

Also, if your muffler is plugged up ? It can cause problems with starting and running.
I found out that one the hard way. :crying:

Last edited:

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
You can check and see if your fuel pump is working just by seeing if fuel is coming out the return line.
( Most carbs have them, some don't )

I should have said when your pulling it over to start,

I'll post a pic later on of the setup. Tank is just setting there til I get it mounted lower.
I believe the pump is working because it filled my case when I had the return accidentally hooked to the case.

Pulse line is hooked to the clutch side.

Ok so it will crank and run a few seconds on fuel. I have the return hooked up and its not doing anything.
The walbro I had ran fuel out like a water hose. Got nothing coming from the return when pulling.

Hooked the tank up and it fired for a few seconds as well but then cut off like its not getting fuel or flooded. Still nothing from return line.

Wjustice I'll check that out.

I have a mikuni 34mm in the shop right now but its not a VM and missing the choke assembly and I can't identify it to figure out what part I need lol. Pics coming.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
That is a Butterfly Mikuni, used on Yamaha snowmobiles.

The Choke is the same used on most Mikuni carbs.

# 111088699334

& # 291252560854

Last edited:

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Ok so it will crank and run a few seconds on fuel. I have the return hooked up and its not doing anything.
The walbro I had ran fuel out like a water hose. Got nothing coming from the return when pulling.

Hooked the tank up and it fired for a few seconds as well but then cut off like its not getting fuel or flooded. Still nothing from return line.
Is it flooded again? Or does it start right back up once its choked ?

IF its flooded its getting too much fuel, turn your HI & LO back in , then out 1 turn each.

Thanks bike buddy. I heard some bad thongs about those carbs and decided to quit tinkering and guessing and sweating and cussing and bleeding.....
So....
I'm ordering the 34mm VM mikuni conversion kit from pats for 145 tomorrow.

I'll get it on this weekend and see how it does. Also going to rebuild the tillotson as a spare carb and put it on the shelf for now.

So once again wheelie videos this weekend.....maybe ... Pray for me guys lol.

I'm still alive and kicking guys. Been super busy with the Army, work, family, and ATC 3 wheelers. I have been dragging my feet on ordering a carb kit for it but I think I will go ahead and order it tomorrow or thursday and get it over with.

I tried selling it for a few weeks but even at 800 bucks I didn't even get a single call or text lol.

So anyways I plan on keeping it and finishing it up as time allows.
I'm opening a new business with my father so I plan on getting a really nice body etc and doing something to promote with the business with it at least that way it serves some purpose lol.