1974 Alsport Trisport RTS 340 SL Restore / Rebuild thread

Rebuild the walbro or get a different carb

• Total voters
Those bearings are not the right type as they just have set screws and they will not hold the side thrust loads od the axle. What you need is a bearing with a cam lock with out this type of bearing the short axle stubs can be pulled out of the differential and could possibly ruin the snap ring groove cut into the end of the splined axle. Please keep looking as I speak from painful experience as that ruined a great vacation.
Steve

Steve do you know of a place that sells the correct bearing. I have no idea what I actually need lol. I'm just trying to order everything I can in one swoop so I can get parts coming in before the wife catches me in the act :D

Frustrations continue. I picked a u joint cup finally but no one has the correct u joint with the inside c clips to hold everything together. Both tractor supply's by me show they have them but one store has an empty box and the other has the wrong u joint in it.

The type of bearing you need is a Ecentric lock bearing. They have a extended race and the collar has the matching off set that when put togather locks the shaft in place and it also has a set screw and a small hole to use a punch to tighten the collar then you set the set screw. I buy all my chain and bearings from an industeral bearing house

Well might have made progres . Steve I got ahold of Robert and I have sent him a list. He sounds like a really nice guy with a heap of Alsport parts and experience.

After this is all done will you be able to register it? Do you have the title? There is a member here that has a RTS-SL in Nebraska that he just spent a ton of money on getting most of the parts. He has the original shop manuals and the Title. Just needs a little fiberglass work and assembly. You or anyone who wants to put one of these on the road may want to call him. He goes by JPR95. He may at least be able to tell you where he got some of his parts.

I have no plans of putting it back on the road or really returning it to a street legal status. I've always wanted one and really this one just happened to be an SL. I would have been equally happy with the regular rts 340.
However once its done and I've gone through it completely, assuming I have nothing else to do to it, I might pursue aquiring the title through the dmv.

I have found several leads on parts as well. Trying to see what the cheapest route to take is really. I made a list here at work yesterday and I have about 1k in parts listed out not including turn signals, body parts, etc.
If I can't get a handle on some parts for cheaper then that some serious consideration might have to be taken before I go any further with it.

More pics and work to follow this weekend.
Goals for the weekend:
- Install U joint cup and U joint
- Reweld and install rod end ( heim joints ) for wheel stabilizers
- Attempt to turn over the engine after a week of spray lubricant treatment ( LOL )
- Remove engine for rust removal of back half frame
- Disassemble front end for rust removal
- Install good tires on the wheels to roll the frame to my neihboors for final media blasting before POR15 treatment

and lastly hope and pray I sell some parts and things around the shop to get some more alsport trike rebuild money in my pocket to buy up all these parts :D

Well got the new u joint cup on the axle.
Tomorrow I pick up the u joint and the new rod ends.
I'd post the pic but its not letting me says I've exceeded my limit lol.
Anyone know the work around to this?

Become a supporting member and get lots of pic space and pm's etc. and the secret part if the forum for supporting members only.that you can't see otherwise.

Got the engine off today and got the rest if the front end removed as well as the rear bumper.
Picking up my u joint and rod ends today as well.
Hopefully I can get the wheels off ( stubborn seized log nuts) to get a set of decent tires on with the other parts.
Plan is to roll it over to my neihboors Sunday to media blast the roller.

Should have a running engine, new shocks, seat pads, exhaust, and clutch setup on its way in the next few weeks.

To my surprise the bearings for the jackshaft and axle seem to roll decently well. I also have a new jackshaft on the way but that might be held off until more money is available.

So as of right now I'm not going to use the ignition or electric start and convert it to a RTS instead of a SL.
I never really had grand plans of putting it on the street so that makes it cheaper and much easier to build.

I also wanted to take a moment here to express some gratitude. I have met and spoken to the finest people I've had the pleasure to meet in a long time. Those of you certainly know who you are and I sincerely appreciate your kindness, willingness to help, and great attitudes. Someday I hope to be in the position to do the same for you or someone else.

Anyways more progress pics to follow later in the weekend.

wjustice

What "media" are you using. The frames are power coated and dont soda blast very well. I replaced the bearings but my biggest j/s problem was the driven clutch was seized to the shaft. Took a 20ton press to persuade it to come out. Since i converted from a j/s brake to dual axle, I also had to modify the j/s mount to clear the brake mount. You already have the wiring so mounting a battery and rectifier for electric start is a plus. When you get a chance take a pic of your brake caliper. I have one that may be the same.

The media is a glass type media. I will take a pic tomorrow of the caliper. I'm also replacing both of my clutches so I'm sure getting the driven off will be a blast......lol.

Oh and my SL already has the rectifier and electric start but I'm not sure I will be using it. The new engine I have lined up doesn't have an electric start.

Well more work and not a lot achieved.
I attempted to install the u joint but it refused to go into the old u joint cup. So had to get creative and weld a puller to the old cup to pull it off.
Looks like tomorrow I will track down another cup and finally get the u joint in.
Today I'll at least get the stabilizers re attached and the rest of the frame wire wheeled. Also going to attempt to remove the wheels to get tires put on.

Step at a time I suppose.