2015 BUILDOFF ENTRY Open Class Powell Challenger

That color with the gold flake should look killer. I like the "to hell with it" paint mixing method, it usually works great. Free paint always looks better to me. As far as the seat goes, if it was "factory" to put a cornbread pan on there for a seat, it was probably because of cost anyway, with style taking the hindmost. Make it comfortable. Speedos were factory, but you can't wear one without looking like an uncomfortable nincompoop.

I have a '69 Karmann Ghia in my shop that has been hit in the left front. My plan is to put Mercedes E320 headlights in it. They are a laid back elliptical shape instead of the squared up sealed beam. Some VW purests will be pissed, but its my car. It looks better to me. The way it should have been in the first place.

looks amazing dave :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Best lookin seat setup hands down I have ever seen on a Powell(and most others)!! Very nice work Dave!!!! :bowdown:
That is a nice looking setup! If you make anymore seat brackets put Me down for one!
Nut smashing! Lol can't stop laughing!
Looks Great Dave :thumbsup: Love the seat :thumbsup:
Thanks fellas for the seat comments. Pretty much an Ebay LePere. The hard part is getting the angles of the dangles right. I kept welding and cutting and welding until it worked.

That color with the gold flake should look killer. I like the "to hell with it" paint mixing method, it usually works great. Free paint always looks better to me. As far as the seat goes, if it was "factory" to put a cornbread pan on there for a seat, it was probably because of cost anyway, with style taking the hindmost. Make it comfortable. Speedos were factory, but you can't wear one without looking like an uncomfortable nincompoop.

I have a '69 Karmann Ghia in my shop that has been hit in the left front. My plan is to put Mercedes E320 headlights in it. They are a laid back elliptical shape instead of the squared up sealed beam. Some VW purests will be pissed, but its my car. It looks better to me. The way it should have been in the first place.
I appreciate the comments, especially from someone who thinks the same way about stuff that I do. :laugh: It's a pearl, and I shot it yesterday. I'm happy with the result, which was definitely not what I planned.

How did you know Dave wears Speedos? Those Havasu people are a relaxed bunch!
I wore speedos once, long ago. Embarrassed loved ones convinced me it was not the right thing to do.

Photos later. Of the frame, not the speedos. Eric, I affixed your non-skid decals. Bad ass! Thank you.

CarPlayLB

Glad to be of service to you Dave!

Remember the old BASF commercials on TV...usually during the SuperBowl...."we don't make things, we make things better"...or something to that effect....I am just happy to help in a miniscule way to make this bike the total package...which is what it is shaping up to be! This will all be worth it when you are cruisin' Havasu in style! Nice work!

As I figured, the full effects don't show up with this camera. With less light, it's much more red in color, and in the sun, the colors move from gold, to orange, to red. Note the laser cut non-skid. CarplayLB does these, and anything else you need including gaskets.

Yes missing glove/spoon. Forgot about that, sorry.

Thanks Rob

Looks great Dave! ...and ya done me proud on the running boards!
Thank you for doing them. I've also got a plan in the work for the stencils on the belt guard.

I am digging the color. Looks sharp, as always
Thanks. Mostly an accident in a controlled crash sort of way. Plan, plan, shoot test strips, then go in the garage and blow it all off, dump the shit in, reduce it for the heck of it, and apply six coats instead of two. :)

BMW "Chili Red" base coat code 851 applied. Next will be a coat of pearl gold powder in reduced clear, followed by clear. I had to modify the seat base, as it caused a pronounced and painful slide forward causing "bar straddling." Also referred to as "nut smashing." Sits good now.

I love that color and the seat looks awesome . :thumbsup:

Disassembled the engine for a repaint, and discovered the Powell driver clutch key had sheared. Since it's integral to the clutch, it's a goner. It's a TC88 setup, with a rear pulley. My plan is to modify the Comet 20 driver by machining off a portion of the rear sheave to change the Comet sheave width from 3/4 to 5/8.

Can you widen the back half th 3/4" ? :thumbsup:
It's possible in my opinion to widen it to 3/4". (1/8" Spacer) However the split design of that rear pulley makes it susceptible to coming apart. It's held together with 4 1/4" bolts. When I first looked at this, the rear pulley was tweaked, and the bolts had to be cut. Making it wider "might" increase the torque load felt at the bolts.

Itype2slo, going with your suggestion- Comet 20 and spacers on the pulley and a longer swingarm/pulley bolt.

Finished up the chain guard. More playing around with pearl interim coats, including a poor attempt at shooting stencils. I still like it, so it's staying. Shot some pearl over the black on the tail lamp too.

Also lined tank with Caswells thinned with isopropyl alcohol. Base white with a white pearl interim, then clear. Adds a nice hue and pop in the sun, but not real noticeable.

capguncowboy

That's really starting to come together. I actually like the palm trees on the cover. I feel like it helps break up the monotonous on that oversized wall of a guard.

I can't wait to see this when it's done