2015 OldMiniBikes Build-Off Classes and Rules

You've touched on the question I was just going to ask. So things like bringing parts or frames in to be powder coated (Or media blasted, painted etc...) are allowed? Or is this contest strictly a DIY dealie? That deadline is tough. For me at least.
Don is the boss here but I don't think its a problem as long as it happens after the start date :shrug: Guys have done powder coating in the past build offs :doah: Its tough to find time to paint here in the north east this time of year :doah:

I was going to do two. Don threw down one of them. I have already soaked rust off my vintage build.
So, down to one in the open class....
Gee I haven't touched my build off bike at all yet :doah:

Last edited:
You can sandblast, powdercoat, paint, chrome whatever for your project. Drop them off right after your entry pic.

Gee I haven't touched my build off bike at all yet :doah:
Me either.

I am less worried about a few cleaned parts than a prepainted, powdecoated, chromed, started the previous year, etc project that only requires assembly.

I have always looked at the Build Off as people showing what they can do making their project into what they envision. This differs from a regular project log in a feeling of mutual competition and comradery. I see the Build Off as a showcase for those efforts, and with us all doing it at the same time, it gives motivation and support for getting everyone's builds completed.

I believe the best builds I have seen on OldMiniBikes have been during Build Offs. I like how everyone steps up their game for it.

Last edited:

buckeye

I don't even have my buildoff bike.:laugh:

I've seen pictures.:thumbsup:

It is lovingly being prepared for shipment. Some Northeast members have been kind enough to help get it south. :thumbsup:
Since it's from Jersey, guess it needs a attitude. :wink:

Should be tons of fun . There are some amazing craftsman on this site. It amazes me each year to see what this group can come up with.

Discovery channel really needs to follow this. :scooter:

125ccCrazy

leaves me out, I blasted mine before it got too cold and crappy here in northern Ohio to be outside with the blaster, waiting until May to have decent weather isn't an option....

Last edited:
leaves me out, I blasted mine before it got too cold and crappy here in northern Ohio to be outside with the blaster, waiting until May to have decent weather isn't an option....
Look at Yoop's 2014 entry pic in the first post. Already blasted.

Point is if you have not blasted it yet, its only a few more days.

Look at Yoop's 2014 entry pic in the first post. Already blasted.

Point is if you have not blasted it yet, its only a few more days.
I think there is a fine line between cleaning and a resto that's already started :shrug: I say enter it unless your name is Buckeye :laugh:

buckeye

No, for sure not.
Don is fair on this one for me.
I've polished the block and primered engine tins.
So, technically, I started a project.
All good.

Rules question. I'm thinking real serious of entering the bird in the buildoff. Question is what class would I be in. I plan a complete redo but using a limited modified briggs flathead, converting to rear disk brake and crf style front forks and disk brake. What would be my build class?

Rules question. I'm thinking real serious of entering the bird in the buildoff. Question is what class would I be in. I plan a complete redo but using a limited modified briggs flathead, converting to rear disk brake and crf style front forks and disk brake. What would be my build class?
Open class :thumbsup:

Like Jdogg said, Open class.

Is this the same bike you were trying to trade off?

It is. Every thing is always available. Especially if I can get me a boonie bike. I had one when I was a kid. You think I could find another. Hasn't happened yet.

fistfullabar

Open class:thumbsup:

Is there a stigma against JFF? Maybe the name has a bad connotation? :shrug:

After having been asked by several people about bringing back unfinished projects, they go to JFF, period. If they were in a previous Build-Off, they go in JFF. If they had any type of a project log, JFF.

JFF this year will have voting and trophies, just like all the other classes, assuming we have enough trophies...

While I would like to be accommodating, it ain't gonna happen.

fistfullabar

After having been asked by several people about bringing back unfinished projects, they go to JFF, period. If they were in a previous Build-Off, they go in JFF. If they had any type of a project log, JFF.

JFF this year will have voting and trophies, just like all the other classes, assuming we have enough trophies...

the build off is always "jff" it dont really need it own class. Mini bikes are always "just for fun".

In the Resto/Vintage class, on a 5hp flathead Briggs (model 130232), will it be ok to use a magnetron ignition coil instead of the original breaker points?

The JFF class was for those who wanted to be part of the build off, but not part of the voting. I'll leave it at that.

The JFF class was for those who wanted to be part of the build off, but not part of the voting. I'll leave it at that.

hey dave, I guess we can enter something that is 80% done already and win a trophy

not a fan of the JFF class......wish I didn't even start it :facepalm:

not a fan of giving trophies either

have fun modding it don :anon.sml:

we're staying out of it this year