5HP Briggs

6doggie3

Hey guy's I picked up this motor for 50 bones at a modern go kart swap meet last week.
I couldn't pass it up price with the pipe and manifold and carb but I'm not sure how to tell if it is
a gas or alcohol motor?

Thanks Michael

CarPlayLB

Get the numbers off the carb. Chances are, with all the fancy stuff on it, it was a meth or alky motor. Nobody uses a head girdle on a gas engine! Take the carb off of that and I'll double your money!:laugh:

CarPlayLB

Wouldn't count my chickens yet. Cheap used "race" engines often come with unwanted surprises. Should easily get the money back out of the bolt ons to end on a good note.
Kazoom! I did learn a valuable lesson on a used "race" motor...smoked like a train! Piston would rock in the bore! If you plan on runnin' it, open 'er up first!
If it was run on methanol, you will be in for some very nasty surprises if the motor was not properly maintained

Daniel Coop

That's a nice score for $50, and the alcohol motor I just picked up ended up being a NICE motor! You may just luck out like me for a quarter of the price. I'd say it's definitely an alcohol motor with that Tillotson carburetor. I would definitely suggest opening it up too though.

Last edited:
Yeah my my experience is v8 "race" engines and I've seen everything from painted up fully detailed bone stock engines that must have had a million miles on a single oil change to something that ran like a scalded dog but looked like it had been sitting in the bottom of a lake. Seen way too many 305 and 307s painted and chromed out being sold as hopped up 350 or 383s. The look on their face when you start pulling out a numbers book, light, and bore scope normally gives them away.

But yeah for $50 I woulda jumped on it unknown too, sometimes you just can't look a gift horse in the mouth.

6doggie3

Numbers on the Tillotson HL363A 521 looks like a 1 bore.
What is the purpose of the tubes coming out of the top of
the side cover? Their are 5 different hose'es on this motor
where do they all go?

Yes that's an alcohol motor, pull the head and look at the bore then pull the side cover to see what else
has been done to it. that was a very good score for what you gave for it. by the way that is a true Raptor motor.

Last edited:

6doggie3

So how can you tell it's a early Raptor?
I got the starter nut off.
So what am I looking for when I open her up?

Last edited:

CarPlayLB

Yes that's an alcohol motor, pull the head and look at the bore then pull the side cover to see what else
has been done to it. that was a very good score for what you gave for it. by the way that is a true Raptor motor.
Did ya see the allen head bolt in the governor hole?

CarPlayLB

You also have a 3HP flywheel...which to me is kind of a boo boo! I would not run that....and Grandma's edger has not been used since the flywheel was jacked!

Did ya see the allen head bolt in the governor hole?
Someone could have drilled out the gov boss and threaded one in there to fake everyone out. Pop the head off and see if the valves are angled towards the piston, or flat like the rest of the flatheads.

I think he scored a $50 Tilly and a cool breather cover.

Hoses are for intake pulse to run fuel pump, as well as fuel lines.