70's Snowco Nomad in good ol SC

just got signed up with the forum, just enjoying looking at all the projects goin on and thought i would show mine off! I got a Snowco Nomad. Unsure of the year I think 78?? got the serial number pictured so if anyone can translate please do. it is driven with a 7hp tecumseh and a comet 20 series clutch. everything is pretty much on there in tack but the engine was messed with at some point so I had to steal a 8hp shrouding for it and am missing the head bolts. Over all I am excited about the shape this thing is in and will be posting pictures as I go along.any info or history on this company I will gladly appreciate.:laugh:

So far I got the decal that went on the shroud and some new brake bands and throttle handles.

Start by taking apart the rear differential and cleaning and re greasing it. Do not be in a hurry to finish it. Do it right the first time...

Start by taking apart the rear differential and cleaning and re greasing it. Do not be in a hurry to finish it. Do it right the first time...
Got a picture right here of it. I am debating doing anything with the bearings? everything moves smooth I will take and get some chain lubricant to spray on the chain and get it cleaned. Guy at work does the racing lawnmower scene and has been helping with a lot of it so I am lucky I got him there to guide me.

Got some pictures of my progress on the engine so far. It looks like its in good shape just needs cleaning and a tune up. when I got it the head was off and the piston was holding up a birds nest. mechanic at work did his magic and got the engine to turn and the cylinder cleaned. he is going to lap in the valves and we got to get a gasket and headbolts and she should fire up. I snapped a picture of the "Tecumseh" logo on the flywheel because that is how I found what brand of engine it was since I never worked on a tecumseh before. Also did some ebay searching and came up with the shroud off a snow blower (for us here in SC we dont see too many of them) and a muffler so its slow but surely coming together.:smile:

got some updates here. engine runs great still needs a little tweeking. seat is covered. headlight works and all that is left is: the clutch and belt, hooking up brakes, and fixing a gas leak in the carb.

gigman

got some updates here. engine runs great still needs a little tweeking. seat is covered. headlight works and all that is left is: the clutch and belt, hooking up brakes, and fixing a gas leak in the carb.
Looks good. Is there anyway you could scan the operators manual ans send me a copy?
Audie

Yeah I can do that tomorrow at work. I love how safety really wasn't brought up with this thing other than they say to watch out for the muffler it gets hot thatsss about it

O no I just email them to you its fine. give me something to do in the morning waiting on it to warm up outside (I manage a golf course).

haha the guys at SnowCo most likely just went to the store and bought something like that and made a version of it. these things are so simple. its funny the attachments that came with it. even had a front ski, which I dont think would do much good down here in SC but its basically a snowmobile front keep with a bolt through it. Never seen a snowmobile either thinking about it.

You think they are similar?

Snowco trikes and Montgomery wards trikes were built in Omaha Ne. Thats why they are similar in the way they were built, and yes you will find stuff they also shared.

Snowco trikes and Montgomery wards trikes were built in Omaha Ne. Thats why they are similar in the way they were built, and yes you will find stuff they also shared.
Does SnowCo even exist anymore?? All I could find online is they made attachments for tractors. now why would you need a tractor in nebraska (im kidding). I really want the canopy that went over top of it that would just be flippin awesome, I have seen online someone having one which they mounted to a lawnmower but i couldn't find a way to contact them to inquire on it.

Welcome Slaw31 : You have a great little project and should provide a lot o fun. But as history shows us the weak link in this unit is the brand of differential that they used. And Randy ( Gumbit ) said one thing that is so important change out the grease in that differential . Parts for that just do not exist and we have seen a lot of wore out ones as well as some busted ones.
You on track with all else and we always like pictures of progress so you have done a great job.
Steve :scooter:

Welcome Slaw31 : You have a great little project and should provide a lot o fun. But as history shows us the weak link in this unit is the brand of differential that they used. And Randy ( Gumbit ) said one thing that is so important change out the grease in that differential . Parts for that just do not exist and we have seen a lot of wore out ones as well as some busted ones.
You on track with all else and we always like pictures of progress so you have done a great job.
Steve :scooter:
I am lucky that it was barely used when it was parked in the shed so not too much wear on it. any suggestions on what lubricant to use in them. I will also spray the chain down with a good chain oil before I use it.