Another aftermarket carb thread... 5hp flathead

I have a 5hp flathead and I need a carb and manifold. I have done a ton of looking around here for setups that work and so far I know that I can put on a mikuni 22mm slide carb, a Tecumseh carb, or a Tillotson. It seems to be really difficult to figure out which one specifically will work, like which Tillotson, Tecumseh etc. I also know that I need a manifold, but which manifold? And what do I need to do to make said manifold work also I need a manifold that will go straight back. The reason I'm doing this is for a Roper build I'm working on and the gas tank is super in the way of the frame. I'm not really looking for any hp gains, just what will work and will have a relatively straight forward throttle hookup. It would be really cool if anyone is selling a unit like that, and if so I would instantly buy if under 30-40$ :thumbsup: :deal: Basically I just need some exact search terms to use and specifically what i need to do to get everything working. Any help is GREATLY appreciated :bowdown:

I found an intake manifold on ebay, does anyone know if they will work? (Tecumseh 5.5HP LH195SP -67517D Intake manifold carburetor pipe) The reason I'm considering this is because I have seen a picture of one on a briggs that looked REALLLY similar. I assume I will have to drill out the holes a bit to get it to fit and do a little porting, but it looks like the engine side thing is the correct angle. I have already looked at that thread but thanks for reminding me because i forgot someone posted a specific carb :laugh: Does anyone know how i would go about hooking up the throttle? their seem to be 2 different throttle levers on these carbs, one that is long and one that is short. Also I found a throttle linkage kit on OldMiniBikes store for TEC carbs. I was wondering which one that kit applies to. :confused:

Not sure on throttle hook up as I have never done this but there is never much trouble with figuring out a way to handle that ! I'm sure minibikin will chime in and help you out !!

I have looked at that intake before, but i don't think it will work because it goes out at an angle, and that may cause interference issues with the frame which is the whole reason I'm trying to find a carb and manifold that go straight back and in between the frame sides. I don't know for sure though now that I'm thinking about it, it might just be high enough.

I bought one off of Outlaw17. It goes straight back. I'd post a pic, but it says my is is full, and it won't let me delete them. Pm me your email address, and I'll send you a pic of my setup.

Thats exactly what I need, now on the website it has two options for throttle bore (1.060" Throttle Bore Carb
(Fits 1.000" T.B. Carb too) and (For 1.125" Throttle Bore Carb). How can I determine which bore I need, also what is that nipple looking thing on the side for?

CarPlayLB

The 1.00" bore should work for you. The bigger bore would require some port matching and is too big for what you need. The fitting is for a pulse fuel pump. You can get a 1/8" NPT plug for it if you are not running a pump.

Ok, so if I buy an h30 TEC carb and the intake that was posted earlier it should all just bolt up and work after I plug the hole, get gaskets, bolts, and tune tune etc?

CarPlayLB

The H30 Tec carb is a bit small. (The 30 part means 3HP) You may try to get an Hs50 type carb and I think you will have a better match!

You mentioned earlier in the thread that you needed a straight intake. The one listed has a bit of an angle to it. If that will work for you I may have a cheaper option for you. I bought a few billet manifolds and have plugged the pulse holes with a set screw. Send me a PM if you are interested.

I believe that OldMiniBikes has a low cost carb option for the Hs50 type engines. The biggest problem you might face is the throttle hook up. Ya gotta get creative here!

I ran mine right the recoil. I don't recommend this though. It's a lotta work to take it apart!

Thats a really nice minibike you have there :thumbsup: ! Any tips for throttle? I'm guessing i should probably just not even bother with the governor lol i bet that would be a nightmare making linkages and such. Do you recommend just removing all of the governor internals and just listening to the RPMs?

CarPlayLB

Thats a really nice minibike you have there :thumbsup: ! Any tips for throttle? I'm guessing i should probably just not even bother with the governor lol i bet that would be a nightmare making linkages and such. Do you recommend just removing all of the governor internals and just listening to the RPMs?
Nope! Here in OldMiniBikes land we don't discuss the removal of governors unless the proper steps have been taken to assure some safety. Linkages would be a nightmare. I run billet rods and flywheels in my engines...just in case my fat a$$ can find a long downhill run!
Typically I put a piece of flat stock on top of the throttle after tapping the throttle mechanism with a #6 tap. Loctite the one end to the carb and find a swivel linkage or one of the Briggs kits that OldMiniBikes sells. Just use the one piece that attaches to the lever and has the hole for the cable (I think it's called a clevis)...gotta get creative. I wanted a straight pull on my bike, so I drilled the recoil cover...makes a decent attachment point for the cable too! I never would have drilled a classic round cover!

The H30 Tec carb is a bit small. (The 30 part means 3HP) You may try to get an Hs50 type carb and I think you will have a better match!

You mentioned earlier in the thread that you needed a straight intake. The one listed has a bit of an angle to it. If that will work for you I may have a cheaper option for you. I bought a few billet manifolds and have plugged the pulse holes with a set screw. Send me a PM if you are interested.

I believe that OldMiniBikes has a low cost carb option for the Hs50 type engines. The biggest problem you might face is the throttle hook up. Ya gotta get creative here!

I ran mine right the recoil. I don't recommend this though. It's a lotta work to take it apart!
Nice set up , I've used similar set up a few times on my Tec engines when I had no linkage to use, I like your way thru the shroud , might just do that , anyways I'm getting ready to do this exact set up on a 5hp flat head Briggs and would be interested in a manifold , of course only if you have another one after helping this man ! Let me know , Thanks

I was just looking at my engine and I am still clueless as to how one would conect all of the linkages, I'm still stuck on how I could attach the throttle lol. But that is some useful info! I'm definitely going to look over what you said once I get everything set up! Im having a really hard time envisioning it without looking at anything.

125ccCrazy

the tilly intakes are too big of bore for an h50 carb to work properly...either a custom made intake or the Briggs intake I posted will work best...The tilly intakes work great with a 22mm Mikuni with the bolt pattern reworked on the intake..