Band Brake install on a Bonanza Chopper

heres a couple of pics of a band brake install.
I reversed the band and mounted it down towards
the motor mount plate. It gave me more clearance around the
clutch to mount the cover

Last edited:
Nice set up Kent.....but I think your anchor pin needs to be on the right.?.?
:confused: That's what I was thinking too.... If it's on the right, when you pull the band tight, it wraps and envelopes the clutch and causes it to squeeze down by friction.. The way you have it, the clutch is trying to push the band back open... Either way it should work though.. It may not be so inclined to just JAM the brakes on like they tend to do when hooked up the other way.. :shrug:.. What the hey, try it, it might work awesome.. :laugh: Never know till ya try..

i think the cable is just running above the bolt to the other side of the band
Yeah, but it's still backwards.. :doah: in the picture the clutch will be spinning counter clockwise, but the band is being pulled tight clockwise.. You want the clutch PULLING the band FROM the bolt and towards the cable end that is pulling the system tight, so it all works as a unit in one direction.. :thumbsup:.. In this pic the band is being PUSHED towards the bolt so it's being pushed open... See what we're saying? :confused:

The brake is set up correctly...
At the risk of getting in to a debate....which I really don't want to do, I'm going to say "Are you sure?" I've always seen them set up the way RK described...so that the rotation of the drum(or clutch) pulls the band closed....not pushing it open.

At the risk of getting in to a debate....which I really don't want to do, I'm going to say "Are you sure?" I've always seen them set up the way RK described...so that the rotation of the drum(or clutch) pulls the band closed....not pushing it open.
The band is infact pulling towards the clutch. If you look closely the cable is simply running through the space on the "mounted" side of the band. (or a hole in the mounting bolt)
The cable then runs across to the pin. I have several bikes set up this way and it work great !

Last edited:
At risk of getting in a dabate as-well. You are correct. I see what you see.
Unless it's upside down in a mirrow it's not correct.

But I guess it don't matter so long as it slowes it down.