briggs 5hp governor linkage removal inside the case

I have a old school 5 hp with the linkage arm rod going into the block do i need to remove the side case and remove the nylon gear off the cam and plug the hole or just leave it in with the outside arm off?.and run it....thanks

I think if you google this question within the forum, you'll find the answer. I suspect leaving the internals is a no-no. More importantly, are you planning on a billet rod and flywheel? Going governor free means having rotating parts exceeding their design specs often leading to bad things happening between your legs.

buckeye

Yes, you need to remove everything and plug the hole.
In the Briggs engine section.
How to build a Briggs 5hp.
Upgrade you parts when doing this.

thanks!!!!! just building a putter looking for a better throttle hook up and response....to build something fast it would be better to buy the animal or BS 206

old shed finds

Sounds like quick engine with these parts.. Open case remove nylon gear 'We had these explode'.. take a speed cutting wheel and remove the L bend in Governor rod..Them it can't bounce up and rub Cam gear.. clips inside and out hold the rod in place..Easy Way... 5hp Way to Rip....

I had a Briggs Animal OHV on a minibike. It was north of 10 hp and WOW, You had to hang on tight when you gassed it :)
If you are looking for dependable, wide open throttle all day type of engine. Get an Animal or LO206. They are built for it.

Danford1

Harquebus

Has anyone run across Briggs flathead governor tweaking instructions for setting the maximum allowable RPM above 3600?

It might be just moving the governor linkage to a different hole in the assembly or even bending part of the lever but it is entirely possible to adjust the governor on these small industrial engines--it's just most people think removing it once and for all is the better option...

Skip to 2:47 to get past the hijinks. At about 7:30 he shifts to setting engine speed and the top rpm.

[video=youtube;XbFyGRixoGA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbFyGRixoGA[/video]

Last edited: