Building my minibike

PART 5 ........OTHER STUFF

Since I'm going to use the peanut tank, The tank that came with the engine was removed. Its amazing how small these engines are when the gas tank, muffler, and air cleaner are removed. Two bolts in front, one in back and the tank is history.

The muffler came off as easy, but I needed the flange to mount the new straight pipe. I cut the flange from the existing muffler tube, reamed the inside and welded it to an exhaust. It'll be noisy.... I like that.

After getting input here on the OldMiniBikes, I decided to go with a clutch brake. So I ordered a band and set about making a mount.

The front of these engines have four 5/16 fine threaded holes. I'll use these for mounting the bracket

I cut the bracket from 1/4 inch steel plate. Once again I used a holesaw for the big circle.

When I was done cutting away everything I didn't need, the bracket looked like this:

After adding a 3/8 post for the band and a mount for the brake cable, The bracket was complete.

Here it is, all mounted up and ready to go!

PART 6...... GETTING READY.

The bike is mostly done, so I disassembled everything and took the frame outside and lightly sandblasted it. This really helps the primer and paint to stick well

Then a coat of primer, a light sanding, and this thing is ready to be painted. I'm not sure of colors yet, but I'm thinking a "Captain America" theme. Seems just stupid enough for my liking.

Then I fabricated this adapter for the intake, Removed all that plastic crap that came as the original intake.

My buddy Dana found this in the storage shed , and I made it fit the adapter. I like it cause it reminds me of the K&N filters we used on sprint cars.

Here's the Predator engine with the gas tank, muffler, and stock air filter removed. It just looks a LOT more serious to me. Next up? PAINT!

Nice build... and that Rat Fink carving is awesome. Really like the old Whizzer's.. too.
Here's a picture of Brother Rat Fink while he was being carved. His "teeth" are cut from corian solid surface countertop material. I live like a hermit and spend way too many hours on stuff like this.

What an Awesomw build so far - True craftmanship :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Be carefull Uncle Buck doesn't sue for likeness rights :lol::freakout:

Here's a picture of Brother Rat Fink while he was being carved. His "teeth" are cut from corian solid surface countertop material. I live like a hermit and spend way too many hours on stuff like this.

PART 7.... STUPID CRAP..

Well, I decided to do a Captain America theme (from Easy Rider) . The big bike looks like this.

Now I can't afford to get the frame chromed, but those exhaust tips look nice!

Here's the process in pics:

First, bend some 18 gage over a piece of your exhaust tubing and mark out the shape you want.

Cut along those lines...

Squeeze the tube together and weld the top closed.

and..... Grind it smooth!

We painted the bike this afternoon. You'll wanna see those pics! I'll post pictures this evening. Hopefully the bike will be totally finished on Monday

Last edited:
PART 8........ PAINT

As mentioned before, this minibike will have a Captain America theme. The real bike has a chrome frame, but because I aint made of money, White will have to do.... But that awesome gas tank is within our ability set.

My buddy Steve loves to paint, and has been involved in everything I paint. We just have a great time working on projects like this.

I already had everything in primer, so our first steep was to paint everything WHITE. We use LIMCO 4 products because they work over lacquer primers. I'm not a 2 part primer guy because I tend to leave primer in my gun for weeks at a time. I can do this with lacquer. Here's the frame and tank in white.

Steve layed out the tape for the stripes on the tank. Kinda looks like a big watermelon don't it?

While he did that, I masked a piece of aluminum and started cutting out stars with an exacto knife. This is both slow and boring.

Once taped off, the tank was sprayed a bright RED

After the tape is pulled, you can see the red and white striping looks pretty good

The stars are pulled off the aluminum sheet and affixed to the front half of the tank.

After masking off the red and white stripes, the front half of the tank is painted BLUE.

The masking tape stars are removed and the tank is ready for clearcoat.

Here's the finished tank. I'm gonna let this sit till Monday before I try the final assembly of the bike.

buckeye

Wow, ya'll have some talent.
Thank you for you great explanation of your project. Sure helps us rookies get it. Great stuff!!:thumbsup: