Cylinder head bolt torquing sequence...

I torque like the left pic, but as long as you criss cross i'm not sure it matters. I torque to 8 ft lbs in sequence first and then torque to 17ft lbs last, make sure you oil the bolt threads and under the bolt head before you start to torque. Always go back over again in sequence to last torque.

The engine manual will explain proper sequence and never lies.
Anything else is guesswork.
Why screw around with opinions?
They could be dead wrong.

Last edited:
I used the left side as well. I didn't actually use a torque wrench. I used my cordless makita 1/4" drive impact. It hasn't had an issue since. The only 2 things I torque down using my torque wrenches were the billet rod bolts and fly wheel bolt. After watching several YouTube videos of a couple guys building these little engines, they didn't seem to worry about torquing down certain bolts that a lot of the guys on here have. If it doesn't hold, I'm out a whopping $3 for a headgasket lol

Last edited:

Motra

Any yayhoo can make a YouTube video but the engineers who design these engines say it's necessary to properly torque the head bolts.

Any yayhoo can make a YouTube video but the engineers who design these engines say it's necessary to properly torque the head bolts.
The engineers also want you leaving the engines stock... I don't think it's very crucial for these engines. They aren't high compression nor turbo or super charged. Like I said if it doesn't hold then I'm out possible head bolts and a head gasket which is about $7 or so.

The engineers also want you leaving the engines stock... I don't think it's very crucial for these engines. They aren't high compression nor turbo or super charged. Like I said if it doesn't hold then I'm out possible head bolts and a head gasket which is about $7 or so.
Your May not be but a lot are on here . They need to be torqued the proper way .

Your May not be but a lot are on here . They need to be torqued the proper way .
If they have a higher compression engine then torquing to stock specs is making zero progress... The only specs I've seen are 17 ft lbs. I haven't seen anything much more. The best way is studs if you want it to hold. I'm sure the aluminum threads can only hold XX amount of torque from the steel bolt.