Did some Bonanza MX tanks come with fiberglass filler necks?

125ccCrazy

I thought I seen a few over the years on ebay and the net with fg filler necks, one in particular comes to mind as I seem to remember it having a chunk broke out of it..

markus

got my answer from Bill (Slywilley)....

so what was the answer :shrug: Only OG tanks I have ever had were later Orange MX ones. They both had metal necks but were just the solder on type like on the remote tanks or Tec metal tanks, they just look like they set them on outside and glassed them on the inside when building the tanks, so I could see how a metal neck could come loose like George mentioned and stay with a tight cap.

The one I have right now sits nice and high:
View attachment 74196
last one I had sat lower Dunno if that was a change or just because they were a hand made item? I know the necks used to come in different lengths, tec was all over the place with them on their tanks about the same timeframe: http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/tech-section/107723-tecumseh-metal-tanks-difference.html

125ccCrazy

I was curious about the necks and Bill told me that they the metal necks were basically sat on top like Marcus mentioned and like George said they would stick to the cap and unscrew off the tank leaving what looked like a fiberglass filler neck... I been playing around with a mold I made from a tall Tec filler neck and made a few fg necks...metal caps screw on them and tighten down good... looking at an alternate option for the harder to come by Tec filler necks.. Briggs work but are a bit short and don't leave much space between the bottom of the cap and the top of the tank when they are glassed in from the inside of the tank..

markus

125 if you ever find a source for the 1 1/2" threaded necks let me know (I'll do the same as I am looking to if your on the hunt as well) I have only ever found/bought them in the next larger 1 3/4" size. thanks

125ccCrazy

Because briggs necks are not the correct ones.
they work in a pinch but not as well as the taller Tec..

125 if you ever find a source for the 1 1/2" threaded necks let me know (I'll do the same as I am looking to if your on the hunt as well) I have only ever found/bought them in the next larger 1 3/4" size. thanks
Will do Marcus, so far I have only come across them on old tanks, the fg ones I made will work but if I'd rather use original metal necks..

125ccCrazy

No I'm looking for actual metal ones to solder back onto tanks....those came out REALLY nice though :thumbsup:
these are just for some universal fg tanks I'm messing with... I've searched high and low for new metal necks myself but haven't come up with anything vintage style.. only the newer twist and lock ones..