Dr. Shop Teacher's - "Lil" Indian Model 600 - (Vintage Class)

Uhh, please don't remind me of that:crying:
Sorry... The young guys need to have something to look forward to as they age!:laugh:

hey pete the color yellow you found . does it look more like a primer yellow and also did you find the orange color on top of the yelllow.
Brian, The only place I found it was on the one remaining seat brace. The green/orange/red was on top of this color. I did find what appeared to be an off white/gray primer under the orange/red on the engine plate.

Looking great as always Pete.
Thanks...we'll see if there's an Indian curse somewhere!:laugh:

Hacking and Stripping

Noted yesterday that I found flange bushings for the neck at Lowes....sure did....empty bags that once held flange bushings.:censure::mad::mad2: my way through two Lowes and one Home Depot. Fastenal doesn't carry them anymore but I did find them at my neighborhood hardware store.:thumbsup:

I cut the foot rest bar off today (it was not going to live another day...the original booger welds were barely hanging on). I found and ordered the correct tubing for the jackshaft tube only to get a call back from the vendor that it was not in stock. :doah:I can get the footrest tube at Lowes...I checked and it's in the rack at both stores.

So, I stripped the frame today and noted the areas where it needs some work. Aircraft Stripper, scraper and brush followed by mineral spirits on a piece of steel wool. Then the angle grinder and a wire wheel finished the job. Forks are tomorrow.

This shot shows the neck tube. The PO made a bushing out of copper pipe. I caught H#** getting it out. The new flange bushings fit (whew!). You can see how the neck has worn over 50+ years. I don't think I need to replace it as there is plenty of meat on the bones for a periodic ride around the 'hood.

Nice , Pete our local Tractor supply carries the bushings ( fyi ) also I use a pressure washer with the aircraft stripper , seems to take a little less effort ??

Nice , Pete our local Tractor supply carries the bushings ( fyi ) also I use a pressure washer with the aircraft stripper , seems to take a little less effort ??
My Tractor Supply sometimes has the bushings--they are terrible about restocking hardware here. I've used the pressure washer before but it's 25 degrees outside (you balmy weather person!:laugh:).

Pete, hate to say this, but you would make a fine stripper. Just saying. :laugh:
Frame looks excellent.

Last edited:

buckeye

My Tractor Supply sometimes has the bushings--they are terrible about restocking hardware here. I've used the pressure washer before but it's 25 degrees outside (you balmy weather person!:laugh:).
Instead of a,sandblaster, you would have a ice blaster.:laugh:

Good stuff as always Pete.

delray

pete, would the yellow look anything like this(under the orange paint). also i have found this same yellow under a original blue vt-7 bike.
it seems to pop up on minibikes made from the late 60's to early 70's
looks to be some kind of metal etching primer.

I have great respect and am getting enjoyment from ALL the '17 entries thus far but this one in particular since, as I've mentioned a couple other times, my first bike in 1969 was a 600. I haven't found one yet so, since my fondest memory was the shifting of that 2 speed, I'm building a Manco Trailcat with one. You are a leader at your craft sir and are bringing a wealth of Lil Indian knowledge of yours and other members, to the surface with your build. Truly enjoyable and I'm subscribed to see and hear the video! :biggrin::thumbsup:

I have great respect and am getting enjoyment from ALL the '17 entries thus far but this one in particular since, as I've mentioned a couple other times, my first bike in 1969 was a 600. I haven't found one yet so, since my fondest memory was the shifting of that 2 speed, I'm building a Manco Trailcat with one. You are a leader at your craft sir and are bringing a wealth of Lil Indian knowledge of yours and other members, to the surface with your build. Truly enjoyable and I'm subscribed to see and hear the video! :biggrin::thumbsup:
Thank you, sir.:thumbsup: However, I have been fortunate in that members have come forward to offer insight into the history of Lil Indians and access to parts, diagrams, and unique details. Most of my projects have been sheer luck finds, including this one. I'm going to be as faithful to original as I can on this bike but will have to make compromises.

The OldMiniBikes members are just great and I really enjoy being part of the mini bike movement!:scooter:

Fork Work...

Got the forks stripped today...22 degrees outside and snowing...so the quartz heater was turned on in the garage. The forks cleaned up pretty easily, and as Delray noted, there was the yellow primer underneath the paint. Once that was done, I cleaned them with mineral spirits and hit them with a wire wheel.

The left (dummy side) handlebar was bent about 1" further back than the right side. Here's how you know you have soft metal: When a propane torch is all you need to heat the metal hot enough to bend it. Took a little while to get it red hot, but once there, channel locks brought the handle bar back into place.

After that, I dug out the front spring and cleaned it up with a wire wheel and steel wool. Not much chrome left, but clear coat will protect it.

Have some more tweaking to do to the trees, but pretty much there. I decided to leave the incorrect seat mount in place until the new correct one is welded in place.

I did locate the correct 1 5/8" tube for the jackshaft assembly from Stock Car Steel, and I hope they have it in stock. The first vendor I found did not. Price was reasonable, but for certain they make their money on shipping!

I agree on the shipping Pete....$7.00 for a piece of 7/8'' DOM and $19.00 to ship it....it probably costs them around $8.00 or $9.00 to ship it UPS. :censure:

First Mock Up

My Allied Leisure shipment came in yesterday, so I got the needed decals, brake spring, fenders, and the steel wheels and tires. This bike is going as a '64 model which had the aluminum wheels as an option. What is not optional for me was the purchase price for original 4" Mag wheels--makes a Gilson clutch guard appear to be cheap.:laugh: Still need to order new axles and head bolt from OldMiniBikes and order the clutches from Black Widow. I put the 74 Briggs on the frame and still need to get back to the Briggs Cousins and get them assembled and test fired.

I have to clean up the shop, I'm tripping over boxes of parts for this project and that project and another over there.:laugh:

Last edited:
Well you can get around the shipping expense from Stock Car Steel to a degree.

I ordered 3 72'' pieces of 7/8 X .083 plus 1 72'' piece of 3/4 X .083. Shipping on all 4 pieces was $22.84. I emailed and asked about combined shipping and knowing I would need 7/8 tubing and I needed a piece of 3/4 I thought I would see what it would cost. 3 additional pieces for an additional $3.84. You cant go wrong....

Doug

Last edited: