Fox Campus Progress

When I started this project five years ago my intention was to do a ground up restoration on one Fox Campus minibike. It didn't take long to discover that parts for this bike simply do not exist and that most of the parts to do a correct restoration had to be fabricated by me or re-manufactured. Because it takes just as much time and effort to set up and turn out one piece as it does five pieces; I decided that it made more sense to restore five Campus bikes. Well, being a true minibike junkie, that number soon rose to nine bikes and could go even higher. However, a couple of sessions at my local chapter of MBA (minibikes anonymous) made me see the light and I solemnly swore to stop at nine....heh, heh. After approximately eighteen months of work I finally finished frame number nine last night and now all nine frames are ready for bead blasting, priming, and touch up body work. Each frame has been returned to factory specs. This included; sawing some of the frames completely apart. Replacing bent, broken, or rusted out tubing after which they were placed in a jig, trued up and re-welded. Several of the motor mount plates were twisted. However, a ten ton hydraulic press and a great deal of patience coaxed them back into shape. Welded on water pipe foot pegs and rebar sissy bars were removed and the underlying tubing repaired. Hundreds of extra holes in the motor mounts and frames were welded shut and repaired. However, now the major restoration work on the frames has been completed and I wanted to share the results with the other OldMiniBikes members. After a few days off I am going to start on that pile of bent and mangled front forks, triple trees, and handlebars stacked up over in the corner. Ogy

Dang, Look at all those Frames. Looks like an Assembly Line. Really Nice and Neat Workshop. Great Job on those Frames. :thumbsup: :biggrin:

dre416

i was watching an episode of csi and they were saying that psycos and serial killers keep there stuff as neat and perfect as your tools are.... but im sure ur not a psyco or killer.... these frames look amazing, and im truly jealous of ur shop looks like a pic out of a catalog ... gotta lot of work to do huh?

i was watching an episode of csi and they were saying that psycos and serial killers keep there stuff as neat and perfect as your tools are.... but im sure ur not a psyco or killer.... these frames look amazing, and im truly jealous of ur shop looks like a pic out of a catalog ... gotta lot of work to do huh?
I am not a psycho. My mother had me tested. And besides; would a psycho keep a skull on his workbench? Ogy

Oldsalt

Sooner or later I gotta get started on my Campus. But as you pointed out replacement parts are nonexistant. But I'm hopeing you keep notes on things you've learned the hard way during the course of the restoration.

MiniBike Paul

Seeing your shop pictures has stopped me from worrying about my own excessive compulsive behavior. When I saw that your 90 degree magnets hanging on the bench front, with the other welding items, were spotless clean i knew you were over the top! Those things are a total bitch to keep that clean!
I'm kidding of course . . . sort of! My shop is my heaven and i take enormus pride in it, but it does not look like yours, nor do the frames i attempt to cherry! That is some amazing job you have done, on both!! Here is my regular shop; i'm going to now have to straighten it up some!!:laugh:

delray

wow ogy:doah:, you got me beat on fox frames:laugh:
i think i have couple front hubs laying around:rolleyes:
hey ogy i ran arcoss couple older snowblower rims with toro tires on them. making me think they had to come of a toro snowblower? and they had the same center hole,3bolt pattern for the triangle hubs and outer bolts too(hold two piece rim together),same depth in rims as the factory campus and bugs:thumbsup: and you know the hubs and rims are getting harder to find. nice the toro rims where the same. i now have almost everthing to complete my blue campus,trail bug,and doodle bug. both of my bugs have the old style weld on sprocket. i will need to cut them off and replace them with a new sprocket, i kind of like to try and keep them more original looking.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
wow ogy:doah:, you got me beat on fox frames:laugh:
i think i have couple front hubs laying around:rolleyes:
hey ogy i ran arcoss couple older snowblower rims with toro tires on them. making me think they had to come of a toro snowblower? and they had the same center hole,3bolt pattern for the triangle hubs and outer bolts too(hold two piece rim together),same depth in rims as the factory campus and bugs:thumbsup: and you know the hubs and rims are getting harder to find. nice the toro rims where the same. i now have almost everthing to complete my blue campus,trail bug,and doodle bug. both of my bugs have the old style weld on sprocket. i will need to cut them off and replace them with a new sprocket, i kind of like to try and keep them more original looking.:thumbsup:
delray, The Campus bikes used a triangular hub like those shown in the first picture below. Is this what you've got? The rear hub and sprocket was a welded assembly like the ones shown in second picture below. It takes a little work but these sprockets can be removed and replaced. I've done four or five of them and they run true to within a couple thousandths of an inch. Give me a shout when you get to that stage and I'll give you a few hints. The last picture show one half of a typical Campus rim after restoration. Ogy

delray, The Campus bikes used a triangular hub like those shown in the first picture below. Is this what you've got? The rear hub and sprocket was a welded assembly like the ones shown in second picture below. It takes a little work but these sprockets can be removed and replaced. I've done four or five of them and they run true to within a couple thousandths of an inch. Give me a shout when you get to that stage and I'll give you a few hints. The last picture show one half of a typical Campus rim after restoration. Ogy
DOH!!! Forgot the pics. Ogy

Sooner or later I gotta get started on my Campus. But as you pointed out replacement parts are nonexistant. But I'm hopeing you keep notes on things you've learned the hard way during the course of the restoration.

Notes, drawings, dimensions, sources, hints, and kinks! I've got it all and whatever I have....You're welcome to Salt. Ogy

Seeing your shop pictures has stopped me from worrying about my own excessive compulsive behavior. When I saw that your 90 degree magnets hanging on the bench front, with the other welding items, were spotless clean i knew you were over the top! Those things are a total bitch to keep that clean!
I'm kidding of course . . . sort of! My shop is my heaven and i take enormus pride in it, but it does not look like yours, nor do the frames i attempt to cherry! That is some amazing job you have done, on both!! Here is my regular shop; i'm going to now have to straighten it up some!!:laugh:

Paul, You've got quite a setup there yourself. I think I even see a metal brake back in the corner. Neat! As far as the welding magnets; the trick is to keep the nice clean ones hanging on display and the crappy ones in a box under the bench. LOL! Thanks for the nice words. Ogy

DOH!!! Forgot the pics. Ogy
No wonder I can't find any of those wheels for my Go Kart Cycle..
ogygopsis got em all along with all the Campus bikes...
All kiddin aside you're doing a hell of a nice job on them and your shop/work space looks clean and neat enuff to eat off of...
Oh before I forget ogygopsis your rims 6" or 5" and if there 5" got an extra you'ld like to sell or trade?

Looks great :thumbsup: That is some awsome work :rockon: I wish I had half that talent and half of those tools. LOL :laugh: Good luck with your projects.:grind::grind:

No wonder I can't find any of those wheels for my Go Kart Cycle..
ogygopsis got em all along with all the Campus bikes...
All kiddin aside you're doing a hell of a nice job on them and your shop/work space looks clean and neat enuff to eat off of...
Oh before I forget ogygopsis your rims 6" or 5" and if there 5" got an extra you'ld like to sell or trade?
Burrito, My Fox Campus bikes all use the 6 inch two piece split rims. However, I do have one smaller rim which I believe is a 5 inch rim. The diameter of my 6 inch rims is 7 inches and the diameter of the smaller one I have is 6 inches. Exactly an inch smaller than my 6 inch rims. Sounds like a 5 incher to me. I have attached a couple of pics. Be aware that these use a triangular hub like the one pictured. The hub is for informational purposes only and is not part of the deal. If you can use the rim then send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll ship it off to you free of charge. Let me know. Ogy