FYI Throttle linkages

What do some of you use to make throttle linkages? I saw a while back someone mention coat hangers but I really don't get how you put a coat hanger through a hole in a carb throttle plate. Being a guitar player I have a lot of old guitar strings around and I'm thinking of using those. At least the thick ones. I've gotten the z bender tool and plan on doing some mad bendin' this weekend.

jrzmac

I've used paper clips before. They're kinda thin, but I could never get the wire coat hanger thru the throttle plate hole! I never had a problem either!

I've used paper clips before. They're kinda thin, but I could never get the wire coat hanger thru the throttle plate hole! I never had a problem either!
I have a hard time getting the purpose made linkages through without bending them. I dont get what way they are supposed to go on first. Is there a thread that goes over this?

jays0n

Any decent hobby shop will have absolutely everything you need to build bullet proof linkages, mostly stuff for model airplanes and boats. This includes rods with z bends, clevises and anything else you can imagine. I worked in one for years and could build linkages for anything from those parts!

capguncowboy

The correct material is called music wire. You can pick it up on ebay. You can also buy the correct links already bent on ebay for about a dollar each

Thanks . Good suggestions. I've got one of those hard core hobby stores not far away.

But what I still don't undertand is how you get them on and off. Take the linkage between the governor arm and carb for instance. Getting the ends in without bending the link is problematic for me. I always wind up bending it a little. There has to be a trick to it that I'm just not getting. What end goes on first for starters? Then there must be a way you turn it and then up and in the other end. But I can never figger it out.

capguncowboy

Thanks . Good suggestions. I've got one of those hard core hobby stores not far away.

But what I still don't undertand is how you get them on and off. Take the linkage between the governor arm and carb for instance. Getting the ends in without bending the link is problematic for me. I always wind up bending it a little. There has to be a trick to it that I'm just not getting. What end goes on first for starters? Then there must be a way you turn it and then up and in the other end. But I can never figger it out.
I always remove the carb and set up the linkage, then put the carb back on. I'd be all ears if someone has a better bit of advice. I guess you could remove the governor arm too, but I prefer not to mess with those if at all possible

T-Town Mini

I always remove the carb and set up the linkage, then put the carb back on. I'd be all ears if someone has a better bit of advice. I guess you could remove the governor arm too, but I prefer not to mess with those if at all possible
Yeah, removing the carb is the best method and I agree not messing with the existing governor setup is the way to go. If you do need to remove the arm for whatever reason...scribe an alignment mark before loosening if first to ensure you get it back the same way it came off.

If you want some free wire...those little flags linesmen use to mark underground cabling along side the road are of the right size. The wire measures .062" which is the same as used for governors/carb linkages. Clean it off with sandpaper, bend it up and add some paint...would work great for Briggs or Tecumseh engines. Predators use .080" wire for their carb control rods so, I might not use it on one of those engines.

Another wire source besides the hobby shop could be at Lowes. I've seen steel rod there in the hardware section but, I don't know if they have a selection small enough. It's worth a look, though.

jrzmac

I always put in on the gov arm first, with a z bend. the other end I bend up 90 degrees. I then stick it UP thru the throttle plate hole, and bend it forward, so it stays on! just like these:

I think the "right" way is to to put it thru the top, but I dont do things the right way I guess...

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
I have used bicycle wheel spokes before, look for the thinner ones, they work best.

An a lot of the time they are stainless steel.

i just grabbed some 1/16" 304SS welding rod from the scrap bin at work :smile:
I'm working on getting the throttle linkage setup on the lil' indian this week!