Jack Spitler’s "Double Trouble" 1967 Twin Westbend Bonanza Drag Bike

Jack Spitler sent me a couple more cool items from his scrapbook today. This would have been 1961:

Jack ran the Hurricane kart. He beat out over 150 drivers to earn one of the last two spots on the US team heading to Europe which included Bobby Allen/Fox Kart, Faye Pierson/ Bug GoKart, and Jerry Clark/Xterminator Kart.

You wouldn't know it today from his quiet demeanor, but this guy was a badass kart racer.

Jack Spitler (arrow). Legendary Faye "Lady Bug" Pierson is 2rd from the left, bottom row.

Jack just turned 80 this year and he's still goin strong. We were hoping to meet at Windber again this year to celebrate but neither one of us made the trip. He's got an old motorhome he's fixing up and some old mini bike frames and parts so he's planning ahead for next year already.

After almost a year of searching I got lucky and found a factory service kit for the oddball Comet/Hoffco 3" clutches that were in the bike. We installed the heaviest (Drk Red) springs...5000 RPM engagement!!

(That should be enough to scare Peekster :shifty:)

That gives me a whole year to get the jackshaft back in the bike :doah:

Last edited:
You better start working on that now:laugh::laugh: That reminds me.....I have those photos of Jack and his wife in a small photo book. I will mail them to you and you can forward them to Jack:thumbsup:

cool stuff and nice find on the spring kit Gerry

bug actually just had a business closing sale not long ago.

I guess faye didn't wanna mess up her hair with a helmet.i've heard she was pretty badass herself from what I've read

"The Big One" Freemont, Ohio Kart Reunion_2014

Had a great time! Here's a couple pics of me with Jack, and with Jim Donovan, V.P. of Max Torque (Clutches!) Both are just SUPER guys!!! Chatted with Jack about the Double Trouble, and trying to get him to the Portland, Ind vintage bike show - I should prolly remind him next summer