"Just for fun" Class Tote Gote Nova 780

buckeye

I am going to attemp to bury the hatchet here.:thumbsup:

This is a very nice restoration. You have done wonders with this bike.
Excellent work and especially having the patients to stick with it. :thumbsup:

The bike looks tough Dave
Thank you. I only hope it comes out as nice as your Bumble Bee Bike! :thumbsup:

Your getting there. You'll appreciate the brakes going down hill.
That's what I'm thinking. I get a bit of throttle surge on shut down, that I assume is the nature of the carb. Not a big deal, with the drive system.

nice dave.......now to see the finished machine.......can't wait:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks Tippy, I still need to build a seat, and fashion some side covers. After slopping in some axle grease in the throttle assembly, it works very smooth. The whole machine is smooth running, except at walking speed. But then I'm riding it without a seat.

I am going to attemp to bury the hatchet here.:thumbsup:

This is a very nice restoration. You have done wonders with this bike.
Excellent work and especially having the patients to stick with it. :thumbsup:
What a nice surprise, and thank you Tom. I was thinking the same thing about the hatchet.

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa............two of my favorite guys.........dang nabbit...them testy flairs sometimes get the best of us..........but its all good:anon.sml:

getting there dave

you decide about paint or powder yet ?
No, I've been thinking about it. We do have one place in town that does powder. At this point, I am not even sure about the colors.

Definitely a red. I've had this idea about tricking out the "tins" with paint, and graphics. Pat has done up a pretty neat one for me.

This particular model was also supplied to the US Forrest Service. But man, I hate puke green. :laugh:

Chrome should go out the 11th.

Looks good so far :thumbsup:. Seems to have been alot of work for such a cut and dry project. Are you starting to sweat yet? :clown:
Definitely more work than I figured. They're tightly engineered. Change one thing on the muffler bearing, and the flux capacitor shorts out.

Nice time of year here. A bit humid, but shorts and T shirt weather. I test drove this thing yesterday in my PJ bottoms and flip flops. When the carb came in, I was too excited to don my work trousers. :thumbsup:

Comet Clutch ya later! :laugh:

Definitely more work than I figured. They're tightly engineered. Change one thing on the muffler bearing, and the flux capacitor shorts out.

Nice time of year here. A bit humid, but shorts and T shirt weather. I test drove this thing yesterday in my PJ bottoms and flip flops. When the carb came in, I was too excited to don my work trousers. :thumbsup:

Comet Clutch ya later! :laugh:
We got even more :censure: snow. I so live in the wrong state. I will get my sled dog out and search today. :laugh:

LOL, as I said earlier, this Red Sherwin Williams Lead Paint laughs at paint stripper. According to OSHA, I am spoda use a forced air respirator to sand it off.

On a whim, I googled for a replacement coating. What popped up was hundreds of pages of law suits and hazmat warnings.

Like everything else illegal, this is some good stuff! I bet MEK would take it off! LOL

Man we used to use MEK in the refinery by the drum full...we were bathing in that stuff. Then it disappeared because we heard it was bad for you. Now they say it's not all that bad for you. :shrug:

We use Heptane now as the solvent of choice and I hate that stuff...gives me a wicked headache.

Man we used to use MEK in the refinery by the drum full...we were bathing in that stuff. Then it disappeared because we heard it was bad for you. Now they say it's not all that bad for you. :shrug:

We use Heptane now as the solvent of choice and I hate that stuff...gives me a wicked headache.
I thought it was still on the "bad" list, and we could only get MEK substitute. (Whatever that is)

Riding this thing a bit more, it's fuel starving. Fuel outlet is just about even with the inlet/float bowl top. Shuts down, wait a bit, starts right up.

So what do we do when we get a new carb? We check the float level. However, "I" failed to do that, because I "assumed" it was correct. Why not, both jets were slip marked, so I know it was ran and adjusted. :facepalm:

Now, I will remove the carb, remove the main jet, emulsion tube, screw up the gaskets, deal with red locktite, and hopefully find the float out of adjustment. I should have done this earlier. :hammer:

If it's level, I'll be installing a vacuum fuel pump. Probably should anyway, since it's a hill climber. (and I even painted over the "Satan" moniker)

it looks great.
Im following the thread. now that the audience is aging these totegotes are really getting attention that they always deserved
Thanks. Indeed, they were the first shaft drive two wheeled machine, and the first production assembly bike made for off road use. Or at least that's what I read.

Others do more technical build threads, and there is a lot here that can be discarded. Keeping it real, so anyone can see what works and what doesn't if they're doing this type of restoration.

PS- Fuel doesn't flow worth a damn, if there isn't enough fuel in the tank to float a toothpick. I need to use my reading glasses and a flashlight when looking into the tank. :laugh:

Bike is apart, I'm stripping paint, and wondering what color I'll paint it.