Keystone Deluxe Resto-Mod

Here are the pics:

This pic was taken after only 2 coats of paint, the finished product will be a little darker.

here is my clone with the custom header I welded up, fits the frame nicely.

KK Kid you are right, the clone will look way better without the stock tank, thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

Here's the tank I might use, but it is quite small. KK Kid said he may have one so we will see...

I have one more coat of paint to spray on, which will be followed by 10 coats of clear. The frame will be left to dry for a week, then I will re-assemble. :biggrin:

I think I will either buy or make a top plate thingy to go cover the top of the motor where the tank used to be. It will clean things up a little. Will I need a fuel pump, or will gravity be enough? :shrug:

that engine looks slick without the tank :pimp: that thing looks like a pan for making meat loaf.....

just mount the tank to the underside of that hoop at the back of the bike....

gravity is your friend :smile:

if you were really brave you could cut off those old moutning lugs and smooth them down....

but I don't want to be the one to suggest it in case something goes wrong........ even though I just did...:laugh:

Last edited:
Wow Bling Bling I totally love that color!!!
Like KKK didn't suggest (lol) I have thought about removing the mounting lugs on my clone , but was a little nervouse of weakening the block.
Anyone else done this ?
Keep the pictures comming.
Rob

I put the first coat of clear on today when I got home from skool, only 9 more to go. The shroud isn't going to get painted until I make sure the bike is running 100%, plus I need more paint. After I am done clearing it I am going to let it sit in my room for a week so the paint cures really good. Now what am I going to do in the mean time...?

I thought you had a rat bike you were working on ??
Rob
The rat bike might be a no go anymore now because a friend of mine who is in his 20's has a mini bike roller at his parents place and it is in their way so he might be giving it to me, so I am waiting to see if that pans out.

MiniBike Paul

That color is great!! And I love the way your motor fits and looks.

I have ground off the fuel tank mounts on a few motors - no problem and it looks cool! However, if you ever intend to build and girdle that engine you will need them!

I put the first coat of clear on today when I got home from skool, only 9 more to go. The shroud isn't going to get painted until I make sure the bike is running 100%, plus I need more paint. After I am done clearing it I am going to let it sit in my room for a week so the paint cures really good. Now what am I going to do in the mean time...?
don't get high on the fumes, you could put an eye out, or ugh, it could cause brain damage, i don't remember which one.

Sorry about the lack of pics lately, but it isn't my fault, this thing distracted me...

Anyway, the Keystone is sitting in the loft of my shop drying, I am planning to assemble it this weekend. I will make sure to take tonnes of pics. :thumbsup: I won't be able to ride it yet though, because I am waiting on a set of those numbered drill bits to drill out the pilot jet, and I have yet another order to place at OldMiniBikes Warehouse.

just out of curiosity. is it really needed to do 10 coats of clear??!!!! why ten coats??
seems like a lot of waisted clearcoat unless theres something im missing? color looks awesome.

just out of curiosity. is it really needed to do 10 coats of clear??!!!! why ten coats??
seems like a lot of waisted clearcoat unless theres something im missing? color looks awesome.
Hoppy, I too thought that 10 coats of clear was unecessary, but KK Kid showed me the link to Glenn Baine's thread on doing a high quality rattle can paint job, and I looked at Glenn's results and followed his methods because my spray bomb paint jobs usually a crappy.

Oh, and on another note, that Suzuki dirt bike that I bought for $50...IT HAS SPARK!!! I am so excited.

I will get back to the Keystone on Saturday because with skool I don't have enough time to finish the assembly in one session. But the motor won't be put in the frame until I get a few things from OldMiniBikes Warehouse. :thumbsup: