L.A Drag Spot.

What, if anything can be gained by measuring cylinder head temp by itself? Or say with RPM? Reason I ask is I came across these...

They're for measuring cylinder temp on RC cars, planes, etc. There's a sensor that's tightened like a noose around the cylinder, or in our case, the spark plug base. Even has MAX/MIN recall. Maybe check intake runner temp? Clutch temp? Beer temp?

And they're $10.
CHT will let you know if the engine is running too hot or cold...that's about it. You have to already have an idea of what "too hot" or "too cold" is anyway unless you're determining that yourself. The gauge could be useful for monitoring other things, though.

It may be possible to modify that temp monitor to use an under-the-plug thermocouple if it uses a standard transfer curve as many thermistors do. Is the case glued, snapped, or screwed together?

CHT will let you know if the engine is running too hot or cold...that's about it. You have to already have an idea of what "too hot" or "too cold" is anyway unless you're determining that yourself. The gauge could be useful for monitoring other things, though.

It may be possible to modify that temp monitor to use an under-the-plug thermocouple if it uses a standard transfer curve as many thermistors do. Is the case glued, snapped, or screwed together?
The case is screwed together, so you can replace the battery.

Dee,

I had nuthin' but love for Charles....odd you would go there.

My comments were in thanks and in appreciation of the guys rolling up, not a bs racial stab as you imply. Kinda shitty remark in my book!

Joe

Dee,

My comments were in thanks and in appreciation of the guys rolling up, not a bs racial stab as you imply. Kinda shitty remark in my book!

Joe

wait .. i wasnt even implying that ..!! hahaha wtf..

we're cool joe... read it again but this time with a stoner smile.... u'll see.

Lynwood is in between compton and watts.... MDB and I both happen to be from LWD.. thats it.

Believe me... i took to no offense to the "compton guys" thing.. nor thought of it as racial man. (how could i? ) .. we're good..

and to be fair ... wierd al yankovic is from lynwood... MDB will someday put us on the map for a much better reason than top 40 parodies , and corrupt city councils.
nobody is "going there"

your event was really well done as i said before.. no sarcasm intended dude.
hope to see u guys in compton someday... opps , i mean Long beach (sorry mdb)

Last edited:
Dee,

Joe
Joe i been going out and racing with charles for 6 years plus now from the alley, to mansville carob and ana, never once has there been a racially charged moment at any of the spots, Everyone is there to race talk trash and have fun, and i have made many good friends going out there...

Read loosely on here, Everybody at the spot is Cool as ice cubes....:thumbsup:

The case is screwed together, so you can replace the battery.
That makes things easier. Assuming it does have a standard thermistor(ideally the same type GM uses), then it wouldn't be hard to modify it for any range of sensor types. Intake air, coolant, oil, cylinder head, etc.

It's kind of like modifying a Sun Super Tach to work with 1/2/4 four cylinders instead of 4/6/8. They're so cheap that failure is an option. :wink:

Lots of action yesturday. Bryans new mdb built gasser ran real good. Aye Charles who won that race between Nick & Steven ? That's the only race I did record. I have several vids up now.

Last edited:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Lots of action yesturday. Bryans new mdb built gasser ran real good. Aye Charles who won that race between Nick & Steven ? That's the only race I did record. I have several vids up now.
I dunno, Nick let out of it early. And he said Steven was slowly catching up from behind. But Bryan's bike ran extremely good for it's first time ever out there. No tach, break in oil, wrong gearing, and no tuning.

Which means it can only get a little better from this point on.

I told Bryan he needs to drop 2 teeth in the rear, and run 91 octane has instead of borrowing someone else cheap 87 has. He pretty much NEVER brings anything for his bike.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I was in the phone with Ronald, Dennis, Rick and Ronald says sense Harold bike beat Bryan bike by 8+ bikes he will lose to his bike.

I said that was his best chance at winning he let pass. The first time ANYONE comes out the bike will not be 100%.

I even think it will beat Harold bike with fine tuning, especially the gear change.