Manco Thunderbird Budget Build

On to the small stuff....

Put the second full coat on the frame this morning before the winds picked up and this pm's storms. First coat on the drive wheel sprocket. Sanded the fuel tank (I used primer-filler) and second coated it before final sanding--looks much better though won't be perfect. Stripped the kick stand and got it primed. Finally, started polishing the bolts and nuts that I'm going to reuse.

My wife did ask about the parts that are laying about the dining room table....

Attachments

Tackling the little stuff...

Got the third coat on the frame today, will let it dry for a couple days in the workshop--we're in for a cold snap until Sunday. Sanded fuel tank today and used spot putty on the bad scrapes on the tank, and got it in final primer before final sanding and paint. Once the frame is seal coated, reassembly will begin! I'm pretty pleased with the tank, it'll look real good with final paint and sealer.

Attachments

More little stuff (and some big)

Put the first coat of white on the underside of the fuel tank today...some fuzz, so I'll have to sand again before I go to top side of the tank. Went with white just to be different. Then spent time working on the interior of the rolling man-cave, this is another project that needs to be done as it will transport the bikes to Windber. Got the refrigerator working, installed new screens and shades and checked the heat.

Attachments

Sweet build, My thunderbird is tore apart right now, wanted to paint it indigo blue metallic but I think I'll stick to the original paint color. I think you should invest in a nice flux welder, I recently bought a cheap one (100$) and it's well worth being able to fabricate yourself!

Sweet build, My thunderbird is tore apart right now, wanted to paint it indigo blue metallic but I think I'll stick to the original paint color. I think you should invest in a nice flux welder, I recently bought a cheap one (100$) and it's well worth being able to fabricate yourself!
I just saw one in HF flyer for 98 bucks. I may do that. It's been a long time since I've welded--in my day helmets did't have auto darkening lenses, and I couldn't strike a good arc!

A little sewing for the Shop Teacher

Been a while since I've seen snow flakes this late in April (especially just south of DC), so today was an inside day. Got the tank in one full coat of white, still has some acne but I can live with it. The seat base was totally rotted and there were holes in the cover, so out came the sewing machine to create a new cover today. I wasn't nearly as ambitious as I was on my Thunderhawk (pleated). It tuned out pretty well once I figured out how to feed the vinyl smoothly in an arc.

Attachments

Front fork assembly is on...

Caught you know what remounting the fork. Paint was just think enough that I had to file bushings down a bit. Installed the kick stand and used a 1/2 clear tube to protect it. Original spring is black. Fuel rank is on just for looks...more work to do on it. Found 5/8 peg rubbers that fit perfect and used a BSA gear selector rubber for brake pedal (it matches the peg rubbers pretty well).

Attachments