MBP's "Powell for 2" - open class

MiniBike Paul

Wow, thanks you guys; and Wayne, you get your own special thanks! I really do believe in restoring and preserving, but that requires an original complete bike.

james c

A few people have expressed dismay over my cutting and lengthening a Powell, and on the surface that sounds reasonable . . . . . but, the guy I bought it from had already made it impossible to restore!! He removed the original drive pulley and welded on a torq -a-verter driven clutch, he either kept or never had the original throttle, there was no original chain guard (just a Mickey Mouse one he made himself, and it was not very good looking and he made it wrong and he said it needed modification to be used) and there was no engine & so no spark arrestor. And what kills me is he has a restored Powell that he beats the crap out of riding it like it was a $200 Chinesse Doodlebug, and he thinks that is O.K.

In the meantime I have spent mucho $$$ and months and have done incredible restorations on 3 other 100% complete and original Powells!

So, anybody want to tell me what would have been better??
paul, are you just hateing? thats alot of anger from you. ill buy that driven from you if it will fit one of my bikes. whats got you so mad?

I had the same concern when I was cutting up the CAT Duster to build the trike.....I got over it right after I lit the torch. :weld:

They all can't be 100 point restorations..........

MiniBike Paul

if it was to much of a hassle to restore might as well do something fun with it...your money your rules...:thumbsup:

are powells expensive?
It is not about "a hassle" Ivan; If a Powell is missing any of the proprietary parts made specially by the Powell Brothers it cannot be restored! It can be cobbled together using other pieces but it is not original; plus, buying the aluminum chainguard, or an exhaust with the spark arrestor or a throttle is nearly impossible - last week I bought an extra throttle, the only one ever offered to me, and the price was $250.00 - this stuff is not for the timid - I almost took a pass on it because of the high price but the scarcity pushed me to do it!

The guys here who have complete, original bikes know what i am talking about - there is, IMHO, a difference between a legitimate 100% original and complete bike and one put together using period correct parts. I had a member tell me he only buys complete, original 1 owner bikes, and i understand that too, that is taking it 1 notch higher!! Jeff's "Gracie" Powell was a perfect example and sold for a high price in about a nano-second as a result!

Last edited:
Damn, I use to proud to have acquired 4 Powell's BUT after reading Paul's latest post and knowing that none of them are 100% complete, Hell any one want them before I throw them out??????:shrug:

Wow, thanks you guys; and Wayne, you get your own special thanks! I really do believe in restoring and preserving, but that requires an original complete bike.
paul,please dont think i ever restored a powell,years ago when i was in the
auto and truck parts business,i got my salvage from ins companys,cars
that were totaled,also once in a wyle they would have a recoverd theft unit,
salvage yards had contracts with the ins companys,we paid a % of the amount the co had to pay out,but then they started using salvage pools,
1970-1971 there was a tractor traler stolen from a truck stop in one of my
countys that i worked out of,2 years later the tractor and traler were located
tha tractor was striped of its engine/trans/twin screw rear,hood doors ect,
it was already settled by the ins co,the traler was intac,with contents,
washing machines dryers lots of hard ware,ect ect PLUS 4 powells NEW
what was left of the tractor was sold to a heaey truck salvage yard,
i got the traler & load , but it got to be very exp: so i got some $ help to
pay for it,so then 3 or us are the owners,fighting about it,the guys were
caught, turns out 1 of them is from a very promament race car famley,
because of a lot $ the got out of it,no prison or even court nice deal for,
last thing i knew was tha trailer was picked up with a NC tractor,end of story
names that were involved will go to my grave with me.

Hey Paul,

I recon What you are doing is what the Powell Brother's inevitably would have done to keep up with the times if they had had a chance. No doubt they would have taken a production bike and modded it just like yours.

Nice build - keep going:thumbsup:

MiniBike Paul

Damn, I use to proud to have acquired 4 Powell's BUT after reading Paul's latest post and knowing that none of them are 100% complete, Hell any one want them before I throw them out??????:shrug:
Tony, give me a break - Powells are no different than anything else, and again I want to use Jeff's "Gracie" bike as an example, or the Saape bike i just bought. Both bikes are documented and 100% complete and original, even have history, and as a result both sold quickly and at top dollar!
Whatever makes you happy is what you should do, but bottom line on anything is that prices vary and certainly high prices are the result of, among other factors, originality, completness and condition!!
You constantly hear sellers say that they are going to "hold out longer" for a higher sell price, but when the item is 100% original and complete they sell fast and at higher prices, that is all i'm saying.
If you are dumping yours, please call me; especially the street legal one (another factor that makes it more expensive!)!!

MiniBike Paul

Thanks Wayne!

This weekend is different - last week I took the frame and a few parts to powder coat, dropped 3 pieces at the chrome platers and gave the motor tins to a local, prominent painter (not Nubs!), so spent yesterday cleaning up the shop and giving the "C" Powell i'm trading for the Saape some final TLC!

With luck, next saturday, my birthday (oh shit, 69:scared: or should that be :wink: - there was another one I thought about using but this is a family forum), I begin assembly!

Is today really Paul's birthday? Wow, I just stumbled on it here.

To a real good friend and a fine fellow minibiker, happy bloody birthday dude. Your SS check is on the way...lol :laugh:

TT over and out.

(gimmie gimmie shock treatment) :rolleyes: