Mild predator build ( cruising motor )

Here we go again with this motor . She was originally build for the super Powell had a CL1 cam billet rod and flywheel, head was ported and mill 80 thou , pretty much just stock .
This motor was bought back in 2011 it was run for 10 min and never run again till last year . What I've found out is its a 1st generation predator, cam with a plastic cam gear . From what I'am told these blocks are damn near as good as a Honda , far better than the 69730's and the hemi's .
So far a mild build this should fit the build , my plans for this motor are just cruising around the neighborhood.
So back to the build I already have the ARC rod and flywheel. I have gone to fastenal and put together a stud kit for the motor head and side cover ,Should be here next week .
I bought a NR racing cam from a member here , a 285 -0607 . Have also got a Honda 18 cc Z4M it's built by Gary Costanza AKA sneaks racing . Got 28-25 stainless SI valves and with a 37 lb intake and 32 lb exhaust spring and full porting . The main reason I bought this head is this guy heads have got a reputation for making power .
Last night I ordered Gage 1.3 roller rockers from NR racing, this will put max lift at .370 .
The head came stock surface no milling yet . Once I get it together and see what kinda of clearance I have then I will cut the head as much as I can , wanna be at 13:1 or higher compression.
From NR also coming are chromoly push rods and stainless lash caps also a gasket set .

The one thing that has been gotten yet is a carb , can't decide if I want a flat slide Mikuni or a tilly . Also can't decide on 110 race gas or methanol.

Davis

Holy crap that's mild half of us retards are still trying to tune stage one kits! Yup i don't wanna race ya!

If you are gonna run methanol The lady in PR is selling the Tec motorsports alky tilly's pretty cheap although shipping is a few bucks.

"Mild build" he says , cruising motor he tells us.......:pimp: Got some purrty parts there David, guna be a nice build for sure. Guna have to keep that "tilly" clean if u go with methanol, don't want any moisture in there.

If you are gonna run methanol The lady in PR is selling the Tec motorsports alky tilly's pretty cheap although shipping is a few bucks.
Would this be a similar carb to the one I have that Karl sent me for a manifold build , the one he got from you ? Also would it be enough to feed my mild build ?

That was a gas carb from the same uglychicken lady. She has no more of them but she has the alky carb with a bigger bore, double stack made for alky wont work for gas. Also if you do go with a tillotson, if you want it to idle well and not wash the cylinder with gas when idling mount it stack down.

trinik7597

Cruising the neighborhood with a tilly carb on methanol ...Lol... Only issue I see with that is fuel in the crank case ... You will need to run a good oil like fhs or something comparable ...

methanol wont make more horse power but it will make more torque. the maintenance on the motor is way higher on methanol ,I would run gas for cruising.. also my 212 has less cam and less port work and does 60 in the eighth mile drag racing so your motor is really not a mild build that's a little monster that's got teeth if its put together and tuned right. good luck cruising with that lol

methanol wont make more horse power but it will make more torque. the maintenance on the motor is way higher on methanol ,I would run gas for cruising.. also my 212 has less cam and less port work and does 60 in the eighth mile drag racing so your motor is really not a mild build that's a little monster that's got teeth if its put together and tuned right. good luck cruising with that lol
"methanol wont make more horse power but it will make more torque"

can you please explain this statement? horse power = (Torque x Rpm)/5252

Latent

^^ Phil1958's statement is factual. However, I would go with the mikuni flatslide carbs and tune it on gas, but thats just my opinion.

i would still like to hear his explanation of his statement. it was made from a posture
of expertise. not saying he is wrong but it does fly in the face of mathematics.

:thumbsup:

trinik7597

I have heard claims of 12/15% gain in our small engines ... It's a trade off for the wear and maintenance issues but methanol definitely adds HP on any naturally aspirated engine

SAS289

It may be that super nate is saying that you can get more peak torque from methanol in the rpm range that peak torque generally happens on gasoline? For example, peak torque can occur at 2500 rpm's (or lower) which is nowhere near the rpm where peak HP occurs. If you can get more peak torque at that rpm it's a win if this is what you desire.

Here we go again with this motor . She was originally build for the super Powell had a CL1 cam billet rod and flywheel, head was ported and mill 80 thou , pretty much just stock .
This motor was bought back in 2011 it was run for 10 min and never run again till last year . What I've found out is its a 1st generation predator, cam with a plastic cam gear . From what I'am told these blocks are damn near as good as a Honda , far better than the 69730's and the hemi's .
So far a mild build this should fit the build , my plans for this motor are just cruising around the neighborhood.
So back to the build I already have the ARC rod and flywheel. I have gone to fastenal and put together a stud kit for the motor head and side cover ,Should be here next week .
I bought a NR racing cam from a member here , a 285 -0607 . Have also got a Honda 18 cc Z4M it's built by Gary Costanza AKA sneaks racing . Got 28-25 stainless SI valves and with a 37 lb intake and 32 lb exhaust spring and full porting . The main reason I bought this head is this guy heads have got a reputation for making power .
Last night I ordered Gage 1.3 roller rockers from NR racing, this will put max lift at .370 .
The head came stock surface no milling yet . Once I get it together and see what kinda of clearance I have then I will cut the head as much as I can , wanna be at 13:1 or higher compression.
From NR also coming are chromoly push rods and stainless lash caps also a gasket set .

The one thing that has been gotten yet is a carb , can't decide if I want a flat slide Mikuni or a tilly . Also can't decide on 110 race gas or methanol.
David, this looks like an interesting build. On a bike, with such a simple engine and fuel system, I wouldn't let anything dictate what I chose to use as fuel, other than availability of that fuel, and of the components to run it- and perhaps a means within the fuel system to quickly purge it if you do go with methanol. Hopefully we can get back on track here.

Peek torque happens at max VE on any motor. Changing fuels dose not change VE. I am just taking a guess but am guessing max HP happens at max air flow and fuel consumption right before the VE takes a dive.

I would not worry about warring the motor out faster on this little motor. Just change your oil more often. Your probably going to dig back in to it before it wares out anyways. Putting rings and bearings in these little motors is simple and cheep. Go for the extra power. Your probably going to get your fuel from the same spot as it is. If you have ran methanol before than I guess its not a big deal but if you haven't than it will be something new for you.