Performance, not even my minibike is safe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I am standing at the minibike section at Northern and I ask the guy standing there, what you building? He say's it a 3 wheel pedal bike with the basket, and he was adding a 2 HP to use as a pit bike.
Myself I was getting a longer chain for the minibike, you know how it go's
the 3.5 HP blows up so I cut the frame and installed a 6 HP, then the centrifugal clutch shatters like crazy, so I install a Torq-A-Verter, how the minibike wheelies like crazy, and that’s the reason for the longer chain, the minibike now has a 5" over swing arm.
Does it ever end. LOL

try modding your engine. that's when i gets expensive. :sadcrying4:

my friend keeps telling me i could have bought a v-twin (used Tec or Lifan) for the amount i have in my clone/GX160, which is almost true. i've easily got $1,200 into my DB right now and it's not even that fast. that's not including the 5hp Briggs which is just a temporary motor that cost me $50.

if that Briggs didn't run so well, i'd give it to my roommate for a Herter mini project he just started on. he didn't want it (had to pay bills.. pshhhh) so i picked it up. i fired it up for him today and i think he regretted not getting it. :laugh:

Last edited:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
You suppose to change your gearing if you go from one to the other. The TAV with the 3.5 motor would take off as hard as the stock 6hp with a clutch. Only clutch I know chatters real bad is the Noram GE clutches.

Poping a wheelie is fun, but if you can't handle it it's dangerous.

Well after about 2 days of cutting, grinding and thinking this 260 lb old man felt like a kid doing launches in the front yard. Leaning forward and just cracking the throttle wide open the bike spins just a bit and then does a little wheelie. Plan to get some more practice and then try it on the street. I does look like the longer swing arm works, before if you went full throttle from a start the bike would just flip right over. Still thinking about going from a 72 tooth rear to about a 60 tooth, I already put a cable tie inside the governor spring, wonder hope fast it will go.

i feal your pain, so close to being finished and then somthing else brakes:thumbdown:
but it sounds like fun
My Rupp is running great, just thinking more gear would calm down the launch.
Heres a picture with the new swing arm.
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z76/v869tr6/kholster111.jpg
Anyone know whats the minimum number of teeth I can use with my Rupp wheel?
It looks like the bolt circle is about 6 3/8" or where I could find a new sprocket?

Last edited:
Yeah you have a lot of wheel base. The gear is just to big.
I purchased a 60 tooth sprocket but it will take a bunch of cutting and drilling to get it to work with the Rupp's large bolt circle.

GTO, due to my weight the springs in the rear suspension were just overloaded so I drilled and installed bolts in the struts, which makes it a hard tail. So far the chain seems OK I did put a extra sprocket near the torq-a-verter to get the chain below the swing arm.