Power Products AH58

Scottessey

I recently picked up a Power Products AH58. I had been looking for one for awhile, and had even put a wanted ad in the local Craigslist. (Later, I realized how rare these engines are and that it was a longshot but that ad turned into some pretty cool connections) I was able to get the engine from a friend and local OldMiniBikes'er, Karterman. It needed a lot of work and this is the first two stroke I've ever owned. Fortunately, my uncle Louie knows a bit about them and was able to help me out a lot! In other words, I got to watch a master at work. I wasn't just a bystander though. I took care of the cleaning and painting. BAB hooked me up with the cool header which I polished up. :thumbsup: The rest was Uncle Louie. Here are some before and after pics and video of the engine as it is now... decals, air filter, and engine mount are in progress. Huge thanks to Uncle Louie, Karterman, and BAB for their help with this. :drinkup:

The chainsaw models come with an extra detail in the shroud which was not included in the kart/minibike models. I found a guy that would weld the magnesium shroud so I could make it disappear. Magnesium welding tends to leave some pitting but I was able to fill these before paint.

After Louie disassembled the engine, I worked on cleaning it up. Here are some temporary plates I made to cover the openings so I could bead blast the outside without affecting the inside.

I sent out the hardware for zinc plate... some of it twice, since I didn't clean it well enough the first time. :doah:

Louie gives it a hone.

Crank installed...

Replaced the Power products rod with a stronger West Bend rod.

Needle bearings installed.

Ready for pressure check...

Here is my first experience with a paint sprayer. Thanks to Evil Ed for the great tips! :thumbsup:

Scottessey

Here is a comparison photo of an original Tec muffler with the original white Tec paint. The color I sprayed is a Honda color (I searched the threads for the paint code). It's a good match.

Here is a pic of the header that BAB hooked me up with.

Halfway through polishing...

After polishing... with a little bit of copper added for the fun of it.

Assembly...

New Tillotson carb...

Ready for a test! I was dying to hear it run!

Hey Scott.....I'm guessing that's going to go in your DartCycle...which will be very cool!!! That engine looks VERY familiar, I think I sent that to Karterman a couple years ago. Anyway, I didn't know that Louie was your Uncle....what a small world. We met him at Medford this year, he and my Daughter Heidi spent a little time on the track together....He's an excellent driver and very willing to teach !!

Just saw your second post...That's looking great !!

BTW- That header is from a Clinton Chainsaw. AH-58 and Clinton E-65(and many chainsaws) have the same size exhaust ports and bolt spacing.

Scottessey

First video... Hearing it run with a Reed muffler installed.

Second Video... Hearing it run with the header.

A huge thank you to Uncle Louie... for truly going out of your way to help me out. I look forward to our next project together. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Scott

Scottessey

Hey Scott.....I'm guessing that's going to go in your DartCycle...which will be very cool!!! That engine looks VERY familiar, I think I sent that to Karterman a couple years ago. Anyway, I didn't know that Louie was your Uncle....what a small world. We met him at Medford this year, he and my Daughter Heidi spent a little time on the track together....He's an excellent driver and very willing to teach !!

Just saw your second post...That's looking great !!

BTW- That header is from a Clinton Chainsaw. AH-58 and Clinton E-65(and many chainsaws) have the same size exhaust ports and bolt spacing.
Thanks Mark. I wondered what that header was from. :laugh:

After Medford when you posted vids of Heidi on the track, he and I put it together that it was your daughter that he drove with. Pretty cool. Small world indeed! :thumbsup:

Great engine. Back in the day when I raced stock Macs in Go-Karts we snuck 3 back from Detroit and boy could they ever blow a Mac away. Great find--your bike should fly!

Nice. I know a guy that could use those "temporary plates" to blast his engine as well....
Thanks Tom, They're around here somewhere. I'll see if I can dig them out. :thumbsup:

Great engine. Back in the day when I raced stock Macs in Go-Karts we snuck 3 back from Detroit and boy could they ever blow a Mac away. Great find--your bike should fly!
Cool! I've heard that with this configuration it should be around 7hp. :blink:

Nice job Scott :thumbsup:
Thanks HP! :thumbsup:

Wow, great work Scott, it turned out great. :thumbsup:
Thanks Clayton! :thumbsup:

:drool: sure wish i had a uncle lou :punk:

slap that bad boy in that taco 22 frame lets see what it looks like
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I'll set her in there once I finish the engine mount... It will be a good holding spot while I get the Dart Cycle ready. :thumbsup:

Correction from previous post: We didn't switch out the rod for a west bend one after all. We used a correct PP one.

delray

man that sounds good with the open header scott....

maybe this weekend i will try to fire up my AH-58 scott.
i still can't believe how much power the factory engine on a chain saw puts out..:thumbsup: and with yours being modified. that little thing is going to GO>>>>>>>>

DRATTT!!!! How the hell am I going to just rattle can my motor now after seeing this.......

How is a guy supposed to keep up!!! :shrug: And no Uncle Louie here in NJ...just an Uncle Vito and Uncle Carmine !

.....might have to have them pay you and your "Uncle Louie" a visit..........

Last edited: