Tote Gote 600? And B&S Motor Identification?

Greetings!
I believe that I have a Tote Gote 600. My grandpa bought it in Utah in the late 60's (?). It looks like it has been repainted and I can't find any serial number or model number on the frame. I'm trying to identify the motor. I had it running last year but the recoil mechanism broke and the side plate tabs for the recoil mechanism are now broken. I would like to get a replacement plate and recoil mechanism. I'd also like to rebuild the motor. And the carburetor is a pain to tune. Here's some pictures: IMG_1309[1].JPG IMG_1308[1].JPG IMG_1307[1].JPG IMG_1306[1].JPG tote gote.jpg

Is it a model 600? How can I ID the engine when there are no identification numbers (plate is gone or painted over).

Last edited:
Are you sure that the numbers are gone....look on the back side of the blower housing....they might be stamped in there long ways .

Davis

That is a model b and does not look like an original motor but the depco clutch is correct to the bike.

Here's mine all original 1959 survivor.

I think you have a model VS, predates the model B. It would have had a 3hp Briggs motor, consistent with your pics. The deepco clutch is correct, too. You should be able to find a recoil/fan shroud from a 2hp or 3hp motor to replace your broken part. Any serial numbers would be on the motor plate near the front right motor mount bolt. The number wouldn't tell you much, there were no records or lists that can tell you when it was made.

Attachments

Thanks for all of the replies!
It could be a model VS, since my grandpa lived near Provo in the 50's. Google doesn't make it very easy to look this up.
I'll look into finding a serial number on the motor this weekend.
Should I rebuild the motor? It ran OK last year. I checked the compression and it was at 35 psi, which seems rather low?
Are there rebuild kits available?
Also, one of my nephews greased the front brake drum and shoes while it was at my dads place. I've tried to de-grease everything twice without much luck. Are there replacement shoes for a 4" (I think) drum or can I get the shoes relined?
I'd like to keep everything original other than grease the headstock, bearings, shafts and son on.

Last edited:
As far as the motor goes, Compression tests don't tell you much on a briggs. Check the points and valve clearance, maybe a carb kit and run it. See what it does. Over greasing things cause problems, especially the front wheel. If grease has got into the front brake, try to clean it good with 'Brake Cleen'. The front brake was made by Schwinn. There are a lot of bike collectors that make finding the brake hard and expensive. Some people have found someone to reline the brake shoes.

Thanks Richard! I'll try using brake cleaner on the shoes again. There's plenty of meat on the shoes, so, I'll give it another try.
Any information on valve clearance and point gap? Been a long time since I've adjusted points!
Jay