Tote Gote Build 1962 Vietnam era bike

Tanks and paint

Here are the updated pics. I got everything painted. I put the star on the tank and it turned out pretty good. I think I am going to use vinyl for the rest of the decals. Cutting out the stencils has proved to be to difficult with not very clean results. Let me know your thoughts. All I have left is to figure out the rear jack shaft. Would someone be willing to count the teeth on a Tote Gote with the pillow top bearings. I tried to use the chart the Richard Trotter gave me but did not come out right. Is # 50 chain correct for the entire system? I know my wheel is a # 50 chain but a 48 tooth sprocket is too big to fit in where I need it too. Ahhh Help :scared:

Oh and my wheel looks like it is brass around the hub when I stripped it down, is this normal on these bikes?

Thanks

Jason
PA

Last edited:
The wheel had a bushing that capped the bearing and kept out dirt. These often wore out, especially if your fork springs didn't compress evenly. Some were brass and some were aluminium.

Thanks to "Not So Mini Bike" for hooking me up with the great deal on the Comet 40. I still have to build or find a jack shaft for this bike, but it is coming together quicker than I thought. I will post the updated pics on when I get the comet on.

Jason

Last edited:
Tote Gote Drive System

I have gathered up the drive system for the Gote and now I have to put it together. I found a Comet 40 drive unit and a Horstman driven unit to pair together. I am hopeful this will work because I am in to deep to do something else :). I still have to figure out the gearing on the large rear gear. I got the 48 tooth gear and it is too bid to fit so I have to go with a smaller gear, maybe a 35 tooth if I can find one. I will sort it out I guess. Here is a picture of it so far. Enjoy!

Jason
PA

The sprocket that you see on the wheel is good, but there are 3 other sprockets that are not on the bike that go above the wheel. I need to put the bearings on and build the "jack shafts" to go on top.

Jason
PA

making progress

I have all of the drive system parts mocked up except for the 48 tooth large gear in the back, I have to try to get one that is a little smaller at TC tonight and see if it will fit. There is a 35 tooth that a model 403R ran so I am going to see if that will fit. I found the pillow block bearings online from "the Big Bearing Store" (item # UCP202-10) for $6.90 each, that is a lot cheaper than I found elsewhere. Here are some pics of the system put together. Also, can someone help me figure out the belt length. I know it needs to be a 7/8" belt I am just not sure what will work the best. Thanks

Jason
PA

All hooked up

I got the chain ran and all set up. Runs pretty good but I do have to shim the one bearing a little bit to tighten the chain to the drive wheel. I am waiting on the drive belt to come in and I will be able to take it for its maiden voyage.

Also I was looking around the garage and I noticed an old air cooled VW exhaust I had and the flanges looked close to my 1962 Tecumseh engine. Would you believe it is a perfect fit. Who would have thought! Now I just need to weld the flex exhaust pipe on it and run it out the back.

J

It's Alive!

Just a quick update. I got everything put together last night and it is working. There are a few kinks I have to iron out but for the most part it seems to be functioning properly. The drive system is a little noisy but with so many moving parts breaking in I guess that would be normal. I have not ridden the bike yet because the last time I pulled the cord the engine started but the pull cord broke. Just my luck, so now I have to rewind that and it is never fun. Now to finish the upholstery and all of the other little details (like finding a pre 1962 M1911A1 to mount on the tank) Thanks

Jason
PA

Jason,

Was reading through this thread again today and remembered a book I used to have when I was still collecting and restoring military vehicles. Don't have the book any longer, but pulled up second edition on B&N website. The attached screen shots are of the motorcycle pages. You may have already seen these before, but thought I'd send just in case you had not. There may be some additional inspiration for another military tribute bike! Anyway, best regards from the Air Force to Army!

Dave Cover.jpg Mil Moto 1.jpg Mil Moto 2.jpg Mil Moto 3.jpg Mil Moto 4.jpg

Thanks

Dave, Thanks for sharing the military vehicle information! I am sure it will be helpful to more than just me down the road. I had uploaded a bunch of pictures but the got lost in the upgrade. I took the bike out for its first test drive and it did pretty well. The one hill I tried to climb was covered in wet leaves so it just spun, maybe I will need to make a tire chain for it so it can really climb.

Jason
Pa