traded for a rokon today.

toomanytoys

Traded an economy king tractor for this Rokon. Pretty nice ride. Came with a NOS brand new west bend in the box, and a TON of extra parts.

3 speed transmission. Runs like a beast. Tops out at 25 mph and starts first pull

Last edited:

toomanytoys

I've been doing my research and seen the new ones have 7 hp Kohler on then and do about 10 more mph on the top end.

They aren't built for speed and it's much more comfortable at 5 mph crawling up the trail. It sure is cool though. Darn thing floats too. Don't ask me how I know.

I've been doing my research and seen the new ones have 7 hp Kohler on then and do about 10 more mph on the top end.

They aren't built for speed and it's much more comfortable at 5 mph crawling up the trail. It sure is cool though. Darn thing floats too. Don't ask me how I know.
Air in the tires..... I like the spare gas can rim.

WLB

Beautiful:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
How does the handling feel compared to a rear wheel only drive. Always wondered how a bike would steer with the front wheel powered. Does it feel like a four wheel drive car with low range engaged.

toomanytoys

Beautiful:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
How does the handling feel compared to a rear wheel only drive. Always wondered how a bike would steer with the front wheel powered. Does it feel like a four wheel drive car with low range engaged.
I don't notice it. From what I have read if the wheels are centered the front wheel stops pulling because the front wheel has to spin faster than the rear when turning.

The drive shaft through the frame is really neat.

Great bike and oh so much fun. About the one pull starting I would let mine sit for months on end and open the gas cock and one pull with chock closed and next pull it would fire 90% of the time. Mine was like yours with the 3 speed transmission and the kick starter.
About the front wheel under power when you are going straight but in a turn of over 15% the flat spring that is wound around a flat drum disconnects the front wheel and the rear wheel then pushes you through the turn.
Back in the 1970's there were Rokon's being outfitted with the Honda 4 stroke engine with the High /Low gear box. That would give you higher speeds and lots of compound choices of gearing. The bile was just too tall for my short legs so I changed the seat to a motorcycle cobra style seat and I had to put padding on the loop normally behind the seat
I still today don't know why I sold it along with so many other fun machines. But the Rokon
is The best exploring bike out there.
Steve :scooter:

toomanytoys

I used my gps and got this one to 24.5 mph. Not a speed demon but it runs out well. Honestly that's fast enough.

It will climb like a goat. I am going to get some videos of us climbing some stuff with it. It won't be a garage queen it will be ridden quite frequently.

I like having the new in box west bend 820 sitting there! Nice to know I have a spare.

Having a spare engine is great to have. Best insurance is in buying quality 2 stroke oil and keeping fresh spark plugs handy. Yours looks great. The one I ought was the shop demo and it had a lot of very hard use but it never let me down.
Steve :scooter: