Trail Horse Wizard SS300

I have been watching an ad locally for an original owner Trail Horse.
Last night I was finally was able to get out and see it.
The history of this one is his parents bought it new in 1973 for him from a Western Auto in Arizona
He was only 7. The next year they moved to Utah.
It had been sitting in his parents shed for the last 20 years at that time his nephews were last to ride it.
I bought it and brought it home.
It had no fuel in the tank and started up with a couple squirts of starting fluid. I added some fuel adjusted carb and rode around the neighborhood.
Pretty neat
From the original Ad

Loaded up

Can anyone decode this for me?

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Super cool but, just so you know that the engine is to new for the year of the bike.

Fantastic find just the same an not trying to rain on your find.

I have a twin to this bike and it has the original engine. It is a 3.5 white Tecumseh. Mine as near as I can tell had been purchased in my home town Western Auto and migrated a couple hours East with the original owner. Now it's back in it's home town again and no more than a half mile from the store.

As far as this one goes, the other things I notice are that the grips and throttle have been changed. It looks like they have a 1" throttle shimmed with aluminum foil from the pictures. It would have had the white grips to match those peg covers. The seat appears to have the correct shape for this bike although I've never seen that texture of vinyl on one. Usually has the heat pleated vinyl.

Wow! Awesome find and story. Are you just gonna clean it up? It's got some great character!

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]

Updated with pictures

I played around with it today. Yes it had tinfoil under the throttle. The engine obviously is newer but at least they kept the spark arrestor. I replaced the rear sprocket it was mangled.
I do have access to an original 3.5 Tecumseh that would have come on this.
Here are some pictures of it.