Vintage briggs score id help

Got this little baby for a song, i tried to id it from the model and type but there arent enough digits according to the chart...
Model 6B , Type 902023, ser # 113*** .
I would like to find out a year and HP, I think probably 2hp but would like to double check. The tank says 2hp but it also says CLINTON

Last edited:
shes cute :thumbsup: i got one like it , mine is a 1.25 to 1.5 hp depending on rpm . yours looks like it could be the 2.5 or 3 , the intake is it smaller on the top then the bottom ? mine is that was the way they made the small hp ones .
it was built some were between 1955 and 1959 , if you pull the cam the year it was cast in in the casting marks .most of the parts are easy to get , some you need to match up the size and some you wont find . the coils are not easy to get,have gone nla but the newer ones fit fine . if ya have ant questions on it let me know and i can get you a list of parts and stuff .

shes cute :thumbsup: i got one like it , mine is a 1.25 to 1.5 hp depending on rpm . yours looks like it could be the 2.5 or 3 , the intake is it smaller on the top then the bottom ? mine is that was the way they made the small hp ones .
it was built some were between 1955 and 1959 , if you pull the cam the year it was cast in in the casting marks .most of the parts are easy to get , some you need to match up the size and some you wont find . the coils are not easy to get,have gone nla but the newer ones fit fine . if ya have ant questions on it let me know and i can get you a list of parts and stuff .
What part of the intake am I measuring?
Yes, the coil is gone in this one, no sparko sparky....

Is it aluminum or cast iron block?
Aluminium block.

What part of the intake am I measuring?
Yes, the coil is gone in this one, no sparko sparky....

Aluminium block.
if you look at the elbow on the intake from the carb to the block . one of the tubes is smaller on the 1.5 hp ones if yours is the same size on both tubes its the higher hp ones .
dont mark that coil as dead yet there some tough old bastards . check your points and make sure the breaker cam plunger if free and moving . the points should be set at .020 i think it is .it says on my id plate also check that the plug terminal hasn't rusted .
but if it realy is dead dont trash it , im looking for one of the old 4 post coils that dont work . seen a possible repair but dont have a coil im willing to break to find out .

hey wondering is your flywheel the cast iron one or is it the aluminum one ? mine has the aluminum one .

if you look at the elbow on the intake from the carb to the block . one of the tubes is smaller on the 1.5 hp ones if yours is the same size on both tubes its the higher hp ones .
dont mark that coil as dead yet there some tough old bastards . check your points and make sure the breaker cam plunger if free and moving . the points should be set at .020 i think it is .it says on my id plate also check that the plug terminal hasn't rusted .
but if it realy is dead dont trash it , im looking for one of the old 4 post coils that dont work . seen a possible repair but dont have a coil im willing to break to find out .

hey wondering is your flywheel the cast iron one or is it the aluminum one ? mine has the aluminum one .
Ok, intake tube is smaller at top so 1.5HP then? Coil IS good, pulled the flywheel says "56" on rear, aluminum but it is way heavy for just aluminum.
Cast core? I cleaned carb and new gaskets. Had it running, seems flooding/rich, even when mix screws in. Need more time to play.

Ok, intake tube is smaller at top so 1.5HP then? Coil IS good, pulled the flywheel says "56" on rear, aluminum but it is way heavy for just aluminum.
Cast core? I cleaned carb and new gaskets. Had it running, seems flooding/rich, even when mix screws in. Need more time to play.
ya if the intake is smaller you have a 1.5 hp . the 2 and 3 have the same mount on the intake and carb .

not sure about the 56 on the flywheel , i had read the number was in the cam :shrug:
the flywheel is a heavy zamac think pot metal type stuff heavy and kinda strong . dont let it run with out the governor hooked up the aluminum/ zamac wheels will come apart if you over spin them . in a stock motor there safe .
good to hear the coil still working there a neat item

oldfatguy

ya if the intake is smaller you have a 1.5 hp . the 2 and 3 have the same mount on the intake and carb .

not sure about the 56 on the flywheel , i had read the number was in the cam :shrug:
the flywheel is a heavy zamac think pot metal type stuff heavy and kinda strong . dont let it run with out the governor hooked up the aluminum/ zamac wheels will come apart if you over spin them . in a stock motor there safe .
good to hear the coil still working there a neat item
that's a 6b 2HP Engine, They are the first of the aluminum block engines made from 1955 to 1957 when they were replaced by the 60000 series.
The 56 on the flywheel indicates that it was made in 1956. That gas tank is not original to the briggs. It would work on a mini bike but it is only two hp. Keep that engine complete as they are getting rare and have some collector value

george3

now all you need is a original Briggs pull start rope with that wood handle. I wonder who has one? I might just have one lying around if you don't have it.