Vintage Class Rupp Roadster Rebuild

j57little

paint-1.jpg tripletree-1.jpg

Paint is done! It's starting to look like a Rupp Roadster2!

The actual paint color is not as bright as it might appear in the photo. The triple tree shows a closer to true indication of the color. To finish on time I may have to powder coat the wheels and get them re-plated at a later date. The 4-month lead time for plating isn't working for me. Still looking for fenders and a few other parts. The headlight bucket and bezel (both plastic) are a three-month, $300 re-plating proposition, so I may finish the build with the headlight in its native condition...for now. The shocks are completely rebuilt and I'm hoping the chrome caps will make it back in time. If not I have already rebuilt with another, painted set of caps.

Last edited:

j57little

Thanks Pat. One might question the sanity of the rebuilding and all the cosmetic work on an incorrect engine, but to the seriously uneducated it will appear just right when I'm done! I started a separate post for the engine. I was told the engine was in running order before it was shipped to me. Hmm, in retrospect, I should have verified that assertion, but it's Michigan and it was too cold in an unheated garage. I now have an engine that looks killer, but it will be a doorstop unless I can get it running. Hopefully that will be sorted out soon.
Jack

j57little

The motor now has spark so I'm sure I'll have it running soon. OK, so my wife was not pleased with me taking pictures on the kitchen counter, but this motor so clean you could eat off it! Next photo will be with decals. Engine-5.jpg

Last edited:

j57little

1971 Rupp Roadster 2 Restoration

It's been a tough one, and the light I see at the end of the tunnel may be an oncoming train, but it's now starting to be put together.
The headlight bucket and bezel won't be included as the chrome brackets don't make it back from plating until June. The rear shocks have end caps that are also late, so I will use painted caps for the build-off.
Fenders? Well, I'll be using a substitute.
Overall, it will be about 90% correct.

Roadster project -2.jpg

Shocks-1.jpg

Last edited:

j57little

Thanks. It was a challenge to get it right, but there was a section under the tank where the sun didn't shine and I was able to match it up from there. Most pictures it looks pretty dark, but in real life it's very close to the original.

j57little

Thanks Pat,

It has good compression and the lighting coil seems to be functional. I'll dig into getting a spark this weekend and it should be a nice looking runner!

Jack

j57little

Engine-5.jpg

This first engine will go up for sale pretty soon now that I have a correct HS40. The one I will sell is is a newer HS40 with "square shroud," but has a 2.75", unthreaded shaft. It does have the larger flywheel used on later model HS40's and HS50's. And the lighting coil works. It now has a silver Rupp decal on the shroud (blower housing).

Last edited: