What's a Good Off Road Mini Bike

RobK

What's a good choice for an off road mini bike? Something to take on fields and trails. My son and I just rebuilt a Manco Thuderbird, but would like to move "up" after we play with it a little. I particularly don't like the brake on the Thunderbird.

I hate to admit it, but I like the looks of the Bajas (not the doodle bug), but I hate the thought of buying Chinese. Especially since they basically stole Honda's engine design.

Any recommendations?:shrug:

Yes, the baja warrior or heat is the way to go!! I have a warrior and keep it at my buddys farm 5 minutes away and I tell ya what, it eats up the off road stuff and even more fun on wet tall grass. Only time ive had it go doing some off roading was when a cut corn stalk jammed through the clutch cover and knocked the belt off. I believe there are $550-600 new at pep boys or tractor supply.

Well that is going to be easy to answer. Nothing better than a Powell Phantom 7 but I may be slightly opinionated. great working suspension and big 8 inch wheels too.
A man sizes trail bike that's not so mini. Now the lids off the box so I am sure others will chime in too.
Steve :scooter:

korndog

Yes, the baja warrior or heat is the way to go!! I have a warrior and keep it at my buddys farm 5 minutes away and I tell ya what, it eats up the off road stuff and even more fun on wet tall grass. Only time ive had it go doing some off roading was when a cut corn stalk jammed through the clutch cover and knocked the belt off. I believe there are $550-600 new at pep boys or tractor supply.
Dude, those are some bad-ass cable guides. :)

joekd

I still think the baja heat was one of my best choices when looking for a bike to follow my son on the trails

Changed the "ape hanger" bars it came with for a set off an XR80 and it was a big help on trails

The opinions will vary but the thunderbird is a great minibike, the next logical step would be the Baja warrior or heat, of course you will miss the rear suspension, but some fab work and some $ will cure that! We have a member here that has done it but the name ecscapes me! I sold a baja I might have well stole, doubled my money and regret it still :doah:! I'll get another one as soon as a sweetheart deal comes my way again!

Supernova-Hey man, if you happen to stumble upon another baja warrior/heat im looking for another! actually my brother and buddy are but id figure id keep my eyes open. Thanks!

RobK

Yea, hardly used Baja heat's are all over Craig's list for $250-$350.. I might have to consider one or two after we tire of the Thunderbird.

RobK

I do like the look of the Heald Super Broncs. Obviously the Bajas were at least inspired by the Super Bronc. How hard are they to come by?

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
What's a good choice for an off road mini bike? Something to take on fields and trails. My son and I just rebuilt a Manco Thuderbird, but would like to move "up" after we play with it a little. I particularly don't like the brake on the Thunderbird.

I hate to admit it, but I like the looks of the Bajas (not the doodle bug), but I hate the thought of buying Chinese. Especially since they basically stole Honda's engine design.

Any recommendations?:shrug:
Yes the larger Baja's are the way to go. Unless your close to 5 foot tall then a Doodle bug will work fine.

I'd have to say it depends on what your plans are. If you want a vintage bike the Tote Goat's and the Bronc's are you best bet. If you want modify something to your liking then the Baja's are great for guilt free hacking. Here is a pic of my Baja Heat/Warrior under construction.

I am partial to the Arctic cat mini's. I have a Arctic Climber.

Full working suspension front and Rear brakes and very comfortable.
I have had a few mini's and these are really well built.

if you want to spend some coin and go all vintage it is hard to beat an mx bonanza
but the bajas are alot less expensive and will out preform the mx with a few modifacations

the last pic is my favorite mini out of the 10 i own its a modified baja mb165
i havent had a chance to play with a serrengetti puma yet but they look good they are basicly a baja with rear suspension

Last edited: