Windber Trail Rider: Gilson "Copperhead"

wow, what kind of heat is going through your parts when getting power coated. i think i will stick with my base coat/clear coat.....:laugh: surprise it didn't also damage the center of the tank too(solder welded).
big tank looks good under the frame. doesn't look over size(big) looks like it's made for it.....:thumbsup:
The coater told me it happens often with tanks and come to think of it, it happened with the Wilderness, too. When I looked at the bung, it had good solder on about half of it...I don't know if some bled off or what, but it's fixed. The center section did just fine and I think it was because the the surfaces were sleeved.

So far, about 15 min of riding time, with maybe a quarter tank she runs smooth and doesn't miss so I would say missing the baffle is not a big deal. I was real happy with the look of the tank in the frame and the fuel lines were even easier because of it.

GREAT JOB, MY FRIEND!!!:thumbsup: I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

The Snake is Alive....

Another full day of thrashing. I'll post more pics tomorrow. I got the bike mobile about 3:30 pm, took it outside and it fired right up on first pull. I was able to adapt some fuel line for the pump-to-carb without kinking (the local Honda dealer does not stock any molded fuel line or clamps, or anything else, go figure---and they are angry people, too). Delray was concerned about splash in the tank, so the baffle was put in...I don't see a need as the bike ran well on a quarter tank after losing the baffle.

Once running and sure that all was working, I took it out for a spin. I was about 3/4 mile away when the master link on the rear gave way, so I had to push it home.:laugh: I'm not sure if I got the clip snapped on tightly...:facepalm: So after pushing it home, and reconnecting the chain, I did a little video. You can see the true color better in the video. I still have to install the rear fender, install the clutch and chain guard, and adjust the clutch brake (right now it's too loose).

I'm going to play with the governor rod spring, as I'm getting maybe to 3200 rpm, and I should be pulling more rpm--I'm sure it's a minor adjustment. She pulls strong, and will do well on the trails at Windber.

So here she is:
https://youtu.be/-vYLdy7e3L4

buckeye

Hey now.. I am a fun guy!!:laugh:

Where did you get my spouse turns 50. We already did that.
I just ain't coming.:no:

Your bike is,a beaut!!

Hey now.. I am a fun guy!!:laugh:

Where did you get my spouse turns 50. We already did that.
I just ain't coming.:no:

Your bike is,a beaut!!
Back in your forever long BRRRUPPPP thread, you made some excuse that you couldn't come because of the spouse's birthday celebration....now if that was just talk, well we sure talked trash a lot on that thread.:laugh:

We will meet someday....unmasked!

Just about, just about....

Still have a few things to button up. The clutch brake still needs adjusting at the pivot, I eyeballed the location and it's off by 1/4" making it hard to adjust. I got the rear chain guard done today, but it's still drying. Bike Budy's decals came, so they are installed (unreal, as always). The bike is geared high, and jumps quickly to speed which will make it good for the hills, but it ain't quick but pulls like a beast. The Wilderness gets bumped back up tomorrow, as the HS50 strains now on slight grades. The interesting thing is the two bikes ride very differently--essentially it's the same set up with shocks and the only difference is the tires.

I'll be interested as CarplayLB builds his Gilson...these bikes are way too cool for us big fellers!

Attachments

C'est Fini~

The Copperhead is ready. I got the clutch brake sorted out yesterday, it was combination of replacing the lever with an adjustable one and pivot location. I moved the pivot up and toward the swing arm, and then added a second bolt to lock the pivot in place. Eventually, I'll make another bracket but we are out of time.

When I built my Manco Thunderbird with a GC160, the one thing I did not like was the exposed throttle control assembly, so....I made a cover out of fiberglass. Turns out a "Glad" 1 quart rectangular disposable tub was a great buck for the cover. Once I got it laid up, I trimmed it to fit, bondoed as necessary and painted it. It was installed this morning.

I also repainted the clutch guard to deepen the color and used a smaller Cory decal in the clutch center...looks much better. The rear chain guard is also out of fiberglass and the color matches quite well.

Attachments

Wear all the protective items you can, respirator and cover every inch of skin possible. Even then you will get it on you. I think you can wear a bubble suit and it will still get on you. The key when it does happen is to remember to wash it off your skin with cold water. Warm or hot opens your pores and drives it in deeper (making it itch more).