Another Scratch Build by Jeep2003

Time for a new progect so I puled out this frame I built a few years ago when I first got my bender. Im using a beauitiful old original 1964 Briggs. Its a tight squeeze on the air filter I might have to spread the frame a hair to keep from wearing on the paint. But im going with a 6" manco in the rear and a 4" in the front. The tires I had kinda determined that but It works. I tossed around the idea of a trike like the taco tri-pointer but the way the back axle mounts are I cant easily build in bearing mounts. I think I have everything to piece together a jackshaft. I ordered a new clutch. I have a few foot pegs to chose from or I may wait and see what I can find at the junkyard. I also need a throttle and brake handle. Im going to have to run a clutch brake because theres no way i can run any sort of brake on the sprocket or hub. The problem with that is theres no 4 bolt pattern to bolt a braket to so ill hae to make one coming off the frame. I have a band brake to use. Im going to make a white seat and grips to match the engine. I have some old vinal from the old seats that were in my Porsche so thats cool. I just hope I saved enough material. Im thinking a light blue on the frame should be cool.

Thanks guys I know its like super simple like not challenging at all but itll keep me busy for a few weeks lol Its nice going back to basics sometimes. The build off bike will be a challenge for sure if I go ahead with it. I do still have the green baloon tire bike rds everyone likes that one :) I actually bought a new max torque clutch for it because that hillard clutch is so noisy so we'll see how that works.

Actually the reason its so simple I was thinking of building a bunch of these frames and selling them but with the price of the steel and all the work it isnt worth it. So ill just build it for myself

I need to decide weather to go with 7.2 or 6.4 ratio. Im thinking 7.2 because of the big tire and because im not modifying this engine at all. I ride in the woods and im a big fan of torque over speed. Not that it makes much difference this high in the range but still. I got the back wheel all together and installed now im working on the mounts for the jackshaft so I should have that totally installed tomorrow

So between fixing my neighbors refrigerator I managed to get the jackshaft pretty much done. I received my new clutch and discovered I need to drill the crank for a bolt. I got two. One to replace the noisy hillard on my fat bike. I pulled it off to discover the keyway sheered off. It still held the clutch but not by much. Probrobly not so good for the crankshaft. So I inquired about a possible relacement on that since it seemed to me like a manufacturing defect. The way they machined out a bit of a cup around the keyway puts too much leaverage on it and breaks it off. Maybe Ill find somebody to broach in a new keyway and be able to use it again.

Yeah I think Wardog is the new leader of complicated bikes with his 2x2 build. Today I got the engine slots drilled, the clutch brake and the clutch guard mostly made. just have to make some mounting tabs. Also got the seat half way made. And I touched up the chipped spots on the engine. Also I swapped out a nice comet clutch I bought NOS I had on my chopper so I put a new chinese one on that and ill put the good comet on this bike. Ill probrobly work on the kick stand next because im still undecided on the foot pegs. Not much else to do on it besides that. I dont have a throttle or brake handle/cable thats any good so i might have to order some. I really like the old Cherry ones they come up alot on ebay NOS. Im also trying to find a spark plug kill switch for the briggs in my stash but no luck yet. That could take a while lol but Id really like to put one on this.

I guess you guys want to see some pics lol Photobucket is a pain theyve been turning all my pics sideways. Anyway Im almost done with the fab work. I even scavenged a throttle and brake handle from other lesser bikes. I just swapped on crappy parts to those. I just need cables, a muffler and find some foot peg covers to finish the bike but I can still paint it without those. Im going to put the pegs back on the frame about midway. If i put them in front they would have to be extended out much farther. and theres enough ground clearance that my toes wont hit the ground or anything. I finished the clutch guard and made a kickstand today. also made a mounting bracket for one of the foot pegs. I better slow down ill work myself out of a job :)

delray

she's a woody bike.....
looking good.......:thumbsup:
i just gutted out 8 snowblowers and i got some real good recycling parts to use on some future projects......:thumbsup: