Dr. Shop Teacher's Ruttman Vintage Class Build-off Entry

A late entry I know, but I kept tripping over this pile of parts so I figured I had better do something with it. Stock HS40 with custom Wulf exhaust. Shooting for Mopar Plum Crazy but may go back to original orange.

Thanks for participating. Gotta love the Ruttman builds:thumbsup:.
Note...Please use caution when heating a Ruttman fork to straighten them....they do not like any. Pic attached for reference.

I love those minis. Thanks for signing up and good luck with the build. I know your not taking a vote but plum crazy looks great on those bikes.

Thanks for participating. Gotta love the Ruttman builds:thumbsup:.
Note...Please use caution when heating a Ruttman fork to straighten them....they do not like any. Pic attached for reference.
Thanks for the heads up. Got the bike from another member and he had already done some welding to fix the high speed front end. They are pretty straight now!

Good luck....... also like your sign.
Thanks, my graphics side...:laugh:

I love those minis. Thanks for signing up and good luck with the build. I know your not taking a vote but plum crazy looks great on those bikes.
Thanks...I really want to do the plum crazy....the more I looked at the orange, the more yeech I felt!

Deconstruction and Aluminum Oxide Dust

Still trying to finish up the ARCO (it has an Indian curse) and had other stuff to paint and such, so in between I tore apart the Ruttman. The Carlisle tires had dry rotted terribly and molded themselves to the rims so I cut them off using a Dremel with a plunge saw. Used a carbide tooth blade to cut the bands. Took off the drive sprocket and, like the ARCO's, it is warped. The bike must have spent it's formative years along the coast as there was a ton of aluminum oxide corrosion on the rim halves. I used a wire wheel on the angle grinder to get most of it off (A NOTE: If you encounter this corrosion, make sure you wear a fine particulate mask as the dust is nasty).

I stripped one wheel with aircraft stripper and decided to keep going on it. I used my rotary tool with a 320 grit wheel, then a Dremel carbide steel polishing wheel, and finally a Dremel buffing pad with white compund. Polished up pretty nicely. Finally, I stripped and wire wheeled the foot pegs...just a little bit of chrome remained on them.

It's going to need bolts, axles and bearings so OldMiniBikes is getting an order soon and I have to talk to Karen about a couple of seats.

Attachments

Wheels are finished....and a little clearcoating

Took the better part of a day to get the corrosion off of the wheels and get them polished up. Started a list for OldMiniBikes and it looks like I'm going to have to adapt the un-drilled 60 tooth sprocket because the Ruttman sprocket is out of stock. Should be fairly simple (and cheaper even with the bearing). Had a good weather day, so I was able to get outside and spray a bunch of parts in Eastwood 2K Clear including the white tins for the HS40.

Attachments

Took the better part of a day to get the corrosion off of the wheels and get them polished up. Started a list for OldMiniBikes and it looks like I'm going to have to adapt the un-drilled 60 tooth sprocket because the Ruttman sprocket is out of stock. Should be fairly simple (and cheaper even with the bearing). Had a good weather day, so I was able to get outside and spray a bunch of parts in Eastwood 2K Clear including the white tins for the HS40.
Think I have an extra.

Pat, I did a search last night night and didn't think to go to OSMB. That looks exactly like what was on the Ruttman. Thanks! 6:1 will be a lot better than 5:1.
If you read their description, it claims to be a perfect fit for Ruttman and Lil Indian rims. Sure does look like the correct one, although I don't have one to compare.

Thanks, pm sent!

If you read their description, it claims to be a perfect fit for Ruttman and Lil Indian rims. Sure does look like the correct one, although I don't have one to compare.
I think Karl can hook me up with one. thanks for checking!

Glad to see you in the build off Pete..:thumbsup: and you gotta love a RUTTMAN !
Thanks...My list get ARCO done (tomorrow--check), Gilson off to paint (soon), Ruttman on a roll!:thumbsup:

Stripping front forks

Started stripping the frame today. Got the front forks pretty much done and straightened out the fender bracket. This bike was rode hard and put up wet a bunch of times:doah:. The orange enamel under the red was just tore up in places and there was a lot of surface rust I had to wheel off. The welds at the trees were very nice and and there are a few dimples from previous owner fixing the high speed forks (he did a nice job)--if I did anything with them I'd probably make them more visible:thumbsup:. Going to rain like crazy next couple of days, and tomorrow I have to go to Richmond to participate in a dissertation candidate's exam:scared:, so will be a few days before I'm back at it.

Attachments

those cleaned up real nice Doc.
Coming together very nicely :thumbsup:
Man, you work?:laugh:

I need this man's motivation.
Very nice.
I'll tell you all--these forks took way longer to strip than I expected. Once they were clean, they look pretty good but getting there...wow.:facepalm:
I would have started the frame but the weather is changing and my back started screaming, "no mas!"
Buck, hiding downstairs keeps me out of my wife's burning eyeballs!:laugh: