Fuel tank breather and throttle linkage

So this has more than likely been asked, but a search wasn't producing results.

I'm using a different fuel tank for my 212, as well as an angled air filter. With that being said, it leaves two useless hoses... One that ran from the top of the fuel tank and the hose that goes from the old air filter behind the valve cover.

1. Should I duplicate a similar hose setup on the new fuel tank or does it matter?
2. What do I do about the valve hose?

Second question.
I hooked up my throttle cable and there is a lot of play. Anyone have a link to a good video showing the initial setup of a new predator engine?

The fuel tank hose you can forget about , the hose from valve cover need a small breather filter installed on end of it , $ 7-8 at auto parts store , There are a million things on here about throttle hook ups , google it and it'll bring you to a bunch of OldMiniBikes posts , seems to be an easier way to find stuff !

The fuel tank hose you can forget about , the hose from valve cover need a small breather filter installed on end of it , $ 7-8 at auto parts store , There are a million things on here about throttle hook ups , google it and it'll bring you to a bunch of OldMiniBikes posts , seems to be an easier way to find stuff !
Thanks for the info on the breather.

As far as the throttle linkage, Im finding lots of videos, but none are addressing my issue. So when I release the throttle, it doesn't spring back all the way and close. Is this just because it isnt running when im adjusting the linkage?

CarPlayLB

All you need for the the new tank is an outlet and a breather...and like Chipper said, ya need a filter for the valve cover hose. The old breather hose from the tank should be gone with the old filter housing. The new filter has no provision for that. Post a pic of what tank you plan on using and we can help you more.
For throttle linkages, there are plenty of choices. I like to make stuff, so I made my own. Fun project, cheap to do, and let's you drink beer in the garage while working! Here is what I have done...and remember, I have limited skills!

CarPlayLB

Yikes David!
I guess you know why those eBay tanks were so cheap! You are severely limiting the fuel supply with the cap placement and outlet. Would hate to see you get on the brakes and have fuel spill out of that cap on to you or the hot engine! I hope you are not emotionally invested in making that tank work. I have a round tank that will work for you, bigger than what you have, with the right orientation in regards to cap and outlet...problem is they are a bit more expensive than what you have here. You could use an old square Tecumseh tank...they are plentiful and cheap...if not free. There used to be a member here, OldFatGuy, that sends out tanks for free...no need to even pay the shipping! Very generous man! You can find him in the member list. Send him a PM

Yikes David!
I guess you know why those eBay tanks were so cheap! You are severely limiting the fuel supply with the cap placement and outlet. Would hate to see you get on the brakes and have fuel spill out of that cap on to you or the hot engine! I hope you are not emotionally invested in making that tank work. I have a round tank that will work for you, bigger than what you have, with the right orientation in regards to cap and outlet...problem is they are a bit more expensive than what you have here. You could use an old square Tecumseh tank...they are plentiful and cheap...if not free. There used to be a member here, OldFatGuy, that sends out tanks for free...no need to even pay the shipping! Very generous man! You can find him in the member list. Send him a PM
Yeah, the tank has been a challenge with this build, from finding the right size to mounting. Ill look for OldFatGuy, and start considering an alternative tank before I attempt to take it for a joy ride.

Do you have a picture of the tank you have and price?

Have you loosened the nylock nut on the pivot point of the linkage? Once you do it will return better, but still needs an additional retrun spring added to compensate for cable and twist grip drag.

Did anyone ever a chance to watch the video above and assess what I'm asking?
Nothing is wrong. That lever that is not moving is the actual butterfly mechanism for the carb. The reason it is not moving is because it defaults to open throttle (perhaps for starting?). Vacuum, from the engine closes it once it starts / is running. If it moved 1 to 1 with your throttle lever it would over ride the governor spring.

Go ahead and start it and you will see it snap shut.

Nothing is wrong. That lever that is not moving is the actual butterfly mechanism for the carb. The reason it is not moving is because it defaults to open throttle (perhaps for starting?). Vacuum, from the engine closes it once it starts / is running. If it moved 1 to 1 with your throttle lever it would over ride the governor spring.

Go ahead and start it and you will see it snap shut.
Had to figure that was the case. I think I have it figured out now. Stronger spring for the return and loosen nut.

T-Town Mini

Davidisabeersnob, here's what I did to remote mount the breather using a catch tank I made out of some PVC:

This is how I currently have my throttle setup with an additional return spring:

As for the Governor...you might try loosening the clamp holding the arm to the shaft and make an adjustment (to see if you can reposition it better) so the throttle is closed when the engine is not running. But, if it works fine when it's running I guess it's ok as is. :shrug:

Davidisabeersnob, here's what I did to remote mount the breather using a catch tank I made out of some PVC:
Looks great, I may try that.

Funny you mentioned PVC... I think what im going to do is cut a PVC pipe in half, drill holes through it, and mount it on the engine block where the original gas tank came. Then ill use a large pipe strap to secure the tank to the halfed PVC.

That way the tank lays horizontal along the engine and feeds the fuel properly, while not causing a mess.

T-Town Mini

I can see how that will work...a cradle mount for the tank. Keep in mind that there's a excessive about of vibration so, you'll want to ensure it's locked in position to prevent it from rotating as you ride. Spilled gas on a hot engine might not be so good.

I can see how that will work...a cradle mount for the tank. Keep in mind that there's a excessive about of vibration so, you'll want to ensure it's locked in position to prevent it from rotating as you ride. Spilled gas on a hot engine might not be so good.
Good point, Ill have to fab some brackets to hold everything in place.