how many of you actually ride your bikes?

toomanytoys

I'm not talking riding around flat fields and parking lots. I mean going out and riding them on trails, climbing hills or just shooting around the woods.

I'm not talking riding around flat fields and parking lots. I mean going out and riding them on trails, climbing hills or just shooting around the woods.
thats a really good question, I think many just hoard them. I try to find the time but end up with short rides on the street or in the yard. I really need to get out more.

Well I hope to be able to ride a mini bike again off road. I wonder how much Hesperia has changed in the 40 years since I was last there? We used to go out there to pick cherries and had some family who lived there. When I had a cabin and 5 acres out in the woods of south central Washington the struggle to make a living in a farm town was all that worked at the time.
Steve :scooter:

I never owned (still don't) a mini that was intended for off road use...big tires, suspension, etc. I think most of the small wheel minis and obviously the hardtails and choppers etc. were made for riding in parking lots and flat fields...that's what set them apart from dirt bikes.

When I hear the word "mini-bike" I think of the early 70's..sneaking out onto the street or sidewalk..blasting around the block a few times and then ditching it back in the garage before the cops showed up. :2guns: :scooter: ...come to think of it, that's still how I ride...:doah:

I'm sure if you grew up in the country or a rural area with your Rupp Scrambler or Super Bronc your idea of riding is totally different.

I guess it's just a product of growing up a "city kid" .....but that's what riding a mini bike is to me. :smile:

Last edited:
When we go "riding" we take both dualsports and her quad in the enclosed trailer and head up north for a day of abuse.I'll be taking one of my quads along this if we can make it.

When i get a minibike built it will go along as well.

We havnt been riding much the last few years with gas so high and her losing her job and having to move, just no time or money.

Here is a lame video form a handlebar cam.
SThelen52408-1.mp4 video by TeamCheap - Photobucket

My wife is on her white eaptor at the start of the video I'm riding my chinese dualsport.
She can stick to me like glue until the whoops then I leave her behind but it doesnt take her long to close the gap when the trail gets smooth.
The sound sucks terribly on that camera, my bikes actually has a low rumbly sound to it.
That was St.Helens and most of it is just deep sand with a mix of wide open trails and some tight trails(fun) with a small sand hill area.

toomanytoys

Where I grew up as a kid we had 2 acres of flat yard. I could leave Dad's drive way, make a left, and hit open dirt roads that ran for miles and could lead you to several different towns. Inbetween there was miles and miles of rail road tracks, trails, hills, anything you could think of.

My poor manco streaker back in the day spent its entire life riding up and down trails and climbing anything I was brave enough to climb. I don't know how many axles and sprockets I went through from bending them jumping off banks. I guess being 8-10 years old you feel know pain.

My super broncs now see tons of trail and off road riding. I ran 3 tanks of gas through my bike saturday night into sunday evening. I need to get a new digital camcorder and take some videos of the hill climbs we were hitting. Pretty impressive if I do say so myself!

thats a really good question, I think many just hoard them. I try to find the time but end up with short rides on the street or in the yard. I really need to get out more.
When I finish the hilltopper it will be only for cruising around town and the yard, but I don't want to tear that one up. This is going to be my only garage queen....

I found another super bronc in Ohio for sale. I am going to go look at it Saturday morning, The guy way wants 1200 dollars for it. Says its a really nice bike, missing the torque cover, has the wrong size tires on it, and the way the brake is setup you can't fit an air cleaner on it. Said he bought it restored a year ago, and never messed with it after he bought 4 other broncs that he restored himself. I don't know if its worth 1200 bucks, I might be willing to pay 1000 for a solid vt-8 that has a good hm80 on it....

I guess the guy has 5 super broncs, 2 hill toppers, and a few other small bikes, and this one super bronc has been sitting for 6 months, and he wants the cash to pick up a nice rupp black widow

Last edited:

Motra

I ride off-road all the time, mostly on Tote Gotes but the DB has taken some heavy abuse too. Our family has a cabin so we take our bikes up there several times a year.

Unfortunately I dont ride as much as I should. I went back to school and now all my extra time is spent studying :doah:. I do have a Boonie at my parents house who have a 8 acre yard ( yes 8 acres ) looks like a golf course :thumbsup: I ride the crap out of it every other weekend when I have my kids and they are on there 4wheelers.

I don't think I'm a hoarder - yet. I've got three, and but only one of them runs. I put lots of (but never enough) miles on bicycles and motorcycles. The minis are more for playing with at home, sort of like building model cars and airplanes.

The reason i got into minibikes was because my girlfriends family rode minibikes in the desert, its like an elite gentlemans club, with bike code and requirements. No shocks or suspension, under 8 inch rim size, naturally aspirated... so on and so forth... I have yet to find any other crew or group who are as into it. We ride in inyo county to all the mines, manzanar and back, cruise along the aqueduct, we'll go for about ten to twenty mile rides round trip and head home for dinner. Every holiday we keep up the tradition and try to make each ride more epic than the last. Its funny to see all these hoity toity bikes , its easy to go fast in a straight line, try some sand and hills with a centrifugal clutch and keep your bike running, thats what minibiking is all about!!!!