Lil Indian, 1st post

ugmold

Hi folks,
Today I bought a Lil Indian Minibike with a 5hp Honda engine. It had been sitting in a musty, stinky basement for years. I cleaned out the carb bowl, had water in it. Changed the oil, which was pretty gunky. Everything looks pretty good. Started on the 3rd pull. Missing air filter, throttle is cooked, rear gas tank mount broke (useable). hand brake off a bicycle, might work ok for now.

Now the bike came w/o a front axle and the rim has one bearing in it, so I see the spacers/bushings are available, but have no idea what I need. It would be for the left and right side + one bearing + one axle.

I hope I posted this in the right Forum, I have no idea how old, or what model this is. The frame sort of bolts together at the rear wheel.

This bike really smells, even after a wipe down, lol.

-ugmold
Crappy photos from Craigs List ad.
00i0i_hcGC40Ec6jQ_600x450.jpg 00707_9FOBAe2t6mF_600x450-1.jpg 00707_9FOBAe2t6mF_600x450-1.jpg

ugmold

I just read through the History of Lil Indian at Allied Leisure and think this must be a much newer model, I had no idea they still manufacture them. I'll repost in a more relevant forum section.

Welcome to the OldMiniBikes...you are fine where you at ! Keep those pics coming and have fun on that mini . :thumbsup:

That's a newer Lil indian but still a cool bike. They will be worth a little bit in a few years. You can get some parts from OldMiniBikes like the axels, bearings etc. Allied leisure still sells some parts for those bikes. Your serial number will be on the left side of the engine plate. (When sitting on the bike). Think it says "Lil Indian" also. My 2 bikes are around 2000 or 2001.

ugmold

Pulled the engine to start fresh, all clean/semi clean at least.

1. My main concern is getting proper bushings and an axle for the front wheel.
front forks are 5 3/4 inside measurement. front wheel hub is 3 inches out to end of bearings. I assume I need a flanged bushing on each side.
Measurement would be 1/2-5/8-1 3/8-3/4
I am surprised I can't readily find it at Allied Industries considering it is a newer Lil Indian. But perhaps not knowing what it looks like is the problem. They do have one listed: 63024 1/2" x 5/8" x 5 3/4" , which would fill the space between the forks, but no flange to keep the bearings in place.

One of my rear bushings has a part number, so perhaps the part I am after does too, if anybody knows please let me know.
More pics: IMG_2084.jpg IMG_2085.jpg IMG_2086.jpg IMG_2079.jpg IMG_2080.jpg IMG_2081.jpg IMG_2082.jpg IMG_2083.jpg IMG_2075.jpg IMG_2076.jpg IMG_2077.jpg IMG_2078.jpg IMG_2074.jpg IMG_2093.jpg IMG_2094.jpg IMG_2095.jpg IMG_2096.jpg IMG_2087.jpg IMG_2088.jpg IMG_2089.jpg IMG_2090.jpg IMG_2091.jpg IMG_2092.jpg

ugmold

Started putting stuff back together as I wanted to run the engine again. With engine mounted, the throttle/gov assembly has missing or a bogus setup, put a rag under governor link to hold throttle open a bit. Seemed to run with choke, and could rev it with choke open, figure it must be starving for gas., decided to a bit more thorough carb cleaning. Well I lost the main jet, tipped over in a cup of parts, recovered all but the jet, tore the shop apart gone into the twilight zone.....fudge. (I said a much worse verb)
Hope my local shop has one. I have 2 other Tecumseh 5hp snowblower engines I think I could use, but I like the idea of the ohv head.

Thanks for the links Manchester, I did look before, I didn't see anything that I thought would work, maybe it's just me. I may call Allied Monday.
-ugmold

Even though it's a newer LiL Indian, it still looks like a nice survivor. I wonder if it came with the Honda engine? Anyone know if they did? You should definitely get another jet for that engine even if it isn't original to it. It looks right at home on there and you spruce them up pretty easily. Very cool project.

ugmold

Tracked down a main jet online, after driving to local Lawnmower Shops. Called Allied today, they have some spacers that I will have to cut down, but will work. They dated my bike to be around early 2000, but said the wheels I have were not stock then (?). Forgot to ask them about the Honda engine if it was stock. So regardless glad I have the parts to get it rolling at least. Still need a throttle and perhaps new linkage on the engine and an air fliter and gas cap for the tank.
-ugmold

ugmold

welcome to OldMiniBikes !! and good for you :thumbsup: i was on the phone with the guy for that bike when you were on the way :laugh:
Really, wow. The guy selling it wasn't exactly Mr Personality, it was hard to get him to answer any questions about it, it was hard just getting the address out of him.

ugmold

Today I took a look at the gas tank which I had poured some vinegar in to get rid of the light rust, didn't do a great job, but got most of it. Might "Red Kote" it (like Kreem but better) I notice a little filter inside the tank for the gas line out, worried I'd snap that off I wanted to remove it for the "Red Kote".
Also took a look at the pull start which was acting wonky, thought there may be a dead mouse in it, but worse, dented in a bit on the bottom which took out all the "plastic" cooling fins (f'ing plastic) so that needs to be replaced. Hopefully didn't do too much wear to the engine running like that with that awful oil that was in it.
Remounted the brake lever, needed a screw, seems to work fine. Fixed the throttle to function, but needs replacing. Back bottom edge of seat ripped across the plywood, was going to patch with naugahyde I have, but may cover with an indian blanket for now. (budget at the moment)