Modifiying a 212 gas tank...

I posted a thread in the wanted section for a gas tank with the filler neck on the right side for a predator 212 engine so that it would clear the frame. I thought I had found one but sadly when it arrived in the mail it had the filler on the left side. Gas tanks for this engine with the filler on the right side do exist but I'm not having any luck finding one which leaves me to consider other options...

So I'm wondering if I could simply make a new filler on the right side of the tank I got in the mail? Simply cut a round hole on the right side and weld in a filler neck. I don't have a welder myself but I have a friend who is good at welding and fabrication.

I'm not sure where to get another filler neck though...

I have this tank that came with the engine and another tank for 212 engine with a slightly different gas cap (old style) in the same location. I want to move the filler in the front right corner away from the frame....

Last edited:
Gumpit hit the nail on the head. The easiest way would be to find any clone tank that had the cap where you wanted it and grind the outside edge of the seam to separate the top and bottom half's. Fill the tanks with water before you grind them and grind them while they are full is how I would do it. Then Tig weld the top you need to the bottom you have. The Baja Warriors have a tank like you need with the cap offset to the front right corner. If it is a non hemi Predator there should be several forum members that have a Baja tank that they removed for a different tank mounted to the frame.

CarPlayLB

That is a good looking bike and it deserves a good looking tank! If your friend can weld, see if he can tig weld up a new tank! Go to the swap meet and see if you can find a couple of old aluminum pans that are the same size. Cut off the handles and flip em! Weld them together and you're in business! I have a metal cylinder tank that I could sell ya... you could fab mounts for and use. Get creative! Ditch that stock clunker and get fancy! Chics dig that!

That is an old 5lb oxygen tank I stole from Chipper! I have an extra one I will send you for the price of shipping! Get a cap and some tube and have it welded! The tank is thick enough that you can tap a hole for the outlet! Again, get creative! I would hate to see you invest more time and money into the stock tank! There is no collector value in the stock one!

I tried the other 212 tank (old style with non CA cap) It has a little bit more clearance as the newer tank is a hair taller but not enough clearance to solve the problem...I'm thinking I ether need to find the tank with the filler on the right side or go to a remote tank above the frame...

I appreciate that. I agree that it might be better to just make a new tank but the fact that the stock tank doesn't have any value means I don't really have anything to loose by cutting it up...