New Caper Cycle Member

Hi guys,
I just joined to let everyone know there is another Caper Cycle owner out there! I have owned this #1299 bike since 1963. Paid $100.00 for it. Bought it from the owners of Aurora Cycle here in the Seattle area. They were a distributor of these minibikes back in the day. I got it from the owners kid. They installed the custom seat/lights and chrome rack and the kick stand thats works great. I also have the original stock seat too. It is a 3HP not 5 like my decal on the engine says. I had a 4 HP briggs on it back in 64 I bought new and beat the hell out of all my buddies with that new $60.00 briggs. Back in around 1980 I painted and reinstalled the OE 3HP briggs. Then put the wrong decals on it. Guess I better get it correct, but I don't think the correct decals are available?
Anyway I've kept it all these years and never wrecked it and bent it up-even the fenders are not damaged!
Here are some pics.
Bob

Attachments

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about getting the "correct" decals....You've got the original Mini Bike in perfect condition.

Congratulations on keeping yours all these years. I kept my original Mini Bike from 1968 so I know how difficult it could get lugging it around and finding a place to protect it with my parents wanting to get rid of it at times. I'm glad I kept it.

Welcome to OldMiniBikes and thanks for sharing your story and posting pictures.

Cool little bike... I also have a couple of them.

Like Steve I'm a little confused with that decal. It implies that Caper Cycle is built in Seattle. The early Ads show Ben Hunt in WallaWalla as the Mfg. of them. Did they later sell that line to Aurora ?? Kind of helps explain why so many show up in the Seattle area though..

I think Aurora Cycle did end up being the distributor around 1964. The kid I bought it from-now "old man" like me runs/owns Aurora mower across the street from the original Aurora Cycle. I will try to go see him and find out about the Decal issue, as I don't know the answer for sure.

Here is the sales/parts list that I have had since I was a kid. Had to do some serious searching to find it! Guess Aurora Cycle bought out the Caper Cycle business from Ben Hunt?
When I get time I'll try to get down to see the kid (man) who sold the bike to me in 1963 and maybe get the history of the confusing Caper!.
Bob

Oldsalt

Here is the sales/parts list that I have had since I was a kid. Had to do some serious searching to find it! Guess Aurora Cycle bought out the Caper Cycle business from Ben Hunt?
When I get time I'll try to get down to see the kid (man) who sold the bike to me in 1963 and maybe get the history of the confusing Caper!.
Bob
Yes! Please do that. It has long been a mystery as to who bought the manufacturing rights from Ben Hunt. I kept getting the story, from people that worked at the Walla Walla shop and Ben Hunt relations, that the purchaser was in Texas. I did get a guy to tell me that Ben stated to him that selling the rights was the first time in any of his business dealings that he had "...got out at the right time". The minibike boom era was slowing down at about that time.

The fuel tank mount at the rear of the frame; is it made of 12 ga. floor plate or is it smooth material? Also, what is the engine mount made of? Where is the serial number located?

I recently stopped by Aurora Mower in N. Seattle and talked to them about this Caper Cycles made in Seattle? issue. Well the story is...The owner of Aurora mower back in the 50's ( now deceased) knew Ben Hunt and the two were friends. About 1963 Aurora mower bought the Caper Cycle rights and remaining inventory from Ben Hunt and started selling and producing the Caper Cycle here in Seattle till around 1967 or 68. They bent the frames up in their shop and sent then to a downtown Seattle welding shop to have the frames welded up as they didn't do welding.The man I talked about is about 60 Years old and is the son of Howard who is still alive (82 Years old) and was the original employee of Aurora Mower-Started in 1954.The owner died about a year ago. I really would have liked to talked to Howard as he was involved and saw all this as it happened back in the day! The shop was really busy the day I stopped in and and he was glad to talk to me but several interuptions. I told him I still had the Caper Cycle I bought from the owners son back in 1963. He told me it would be great to see it and possibly buy it to display it.
Anyway thats the info I got and I will go back again sometime to see if i can get some more info!
Some pics of the Bldgs where this place is in north seattle across from our famous Greenlake!...
Bob

Awesome. If you don't sell them yours I may have one or 2 for sale at the right price.

BTW, is the ownership change and frame style change related?