Tank's 2015 Blue Steel Bobber - scratch build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks OND, Delray,Chipper.

Got a little time in this weekend.

Welded the engine plate to the frame, then made up the jack shaft bracket and shaft. Also found the spot I wanted to weld to weld the leaf spring for the seat. Still busy with card board mock up to see what's gonna work. Then finished to risers for the handle bars. And all this after a boys night out :laugh:

Will take a pic of everything assembled this week

You are a machine sir, you should go into building custom minibikes full time and quit that full time job for good. You really are talented enough to pull it off I believe.

Thanks Ace, uncle Buck and the Birthday Boy

Moedog you made me laugh. I store a cheap Chinese gokart undee the bench. Only spotted it when you mentioned it in the photo. :laugh: thanks for the compliment on the build.

Standing in Awe.

I just noticed too, Your work table cart thingy has better tires than some of my mini's...

As promised a pic with the leaf spring. Jack shaft and card board mock of the seat.

Dan, that is an interesting take on the leaf spring for seat idea. I've been looking at several options along those lines, but decided I could not modify a vintage frame to the point where it would take the loading.

You have solved that in a really neat way. Obviously, you will install a hinge on the front of the seat. Do you think there will be some fore and aft movement at the back of the seat? You could possibly allow for it with a simple conical coil spring design from leaf spring to seat pan. From what I gather, welding the spring steel is a tedious affair.

Great job anchoring that spring. This challenge is discussed by several custom motorcycle builders.

Thanks Uncle D.
Its not so bad, the leaf spring is off a pickup so it has an eye on the end. I turned up two nylon bushes that are held between two plates.
The second pic has a bit of scrap welded across the frame for the spring to rest on. I am going to replace this with a roller. Then I'll make a guide for the back of the seat. And your spot on with the hinge on the front of the seat.

Thanks so much for all the props lads.

Man I'm struggling to find time - proof was this thread was on page three.

Still drilled the holes for the handle bars, have some pics of what I'm aiming for.
Also made a form die to re-inforce a steel plate for the seat pan, will trim this and add on a few brackets.

Thanks all so much for the support - really bummed I can't finish off.
The shop is already packed into crates and we move on the 6th.

I would like to wish all of you the best of Luck with your builds and will leave you with a parting shot :laugh:

Packed up ready for next year

Status
Not open for further replies.