Thread of Reasons to Build and Ride Minibikes Rather Than Other 2 & 4 Wheel Vehicles

Reasons to Build and Ride Minibikes Rather Than Other 2 and 4 Wheel Vehicles

Introduction
------------
While watching the economy go into shambles, my savings shrink, my income
being drastically reduced, and viewing the soon prospect of gasoline back to
$4.00/gallon; I got thinking a few months ago that it is time to find lower
cost motorized hobbies. I found oldminibikes.com.

In my discussions with my friends who are in their 30's, 40's, 50's, and
60's; I have decided to make a list of all the good reasons to build and ride
minibikes. The good reasons to own minibikes are:

Low cost,
Simple,
An American icon.
By and large, made up of American parts and use American small engines.
Just as much fun to build as to ride.
Low enough cost to own more than one for you and your best
friend/wife/kids/girl friend to ride together.
Getting the wife to ride the minibike is definitely a good move.

Small enough to fit in the trunk of a car.
Small enough for two to fit in the back of an SUV.
Small enough that you can carry it out of a mud hole.

Can ride all afternoon on a quart of gasoline.
Old small engines from other farm and garden equipment can be purchased for
$0 to $40 to use to power a minibike.

Vintage minibikes of the 1960's and 1970's are good investments as they
appreciate in value.
Being over age 30, I no longer have interest in traveling faster than 40 or
45 mph on any recreation vehicle.

For a younger guy too young to have the opportunity of his first minimum wage
job, a minibike will fit into a young person's budget. Many friends of my
generation purchased their first minibikes with the proceeds earned from
their newspaper routes.

For an older guy, a minibike is a reminder of a motorized vehicle from his
youth that doesn't burn a lot of gasoline.

The Future
----------
It seems that the liberals working through the EPA have declared war on the
American small engine. Consequently, there may soon come the day when we
will need to work hard to promote our sport in order to have access to
National and State Parks land.

Please list your reasons why you love to build and ride minibikes.

Last edited:
Nice post, I thought I was gonna have to answer the question before I clicked and read the post.:thumbsup:
Hi Minidragbike,
Feel free to add additional reasons for the promotion of the sport of minibikes. I always learn things when I read your posts. Getting out to the West Coast is rare for me, but it sure would be fun to see all your high performance hardware and your drag bike building facilities, i.e. your shop.

I like mini's because they are simple. "less is more" . a true icon of the 60's and 70's. They make you smile just looking at them.

If they do pass new laws we must insist our classic bikes are grandfathered in like classic cars.:thumbsup:

New one's? who cares! No sole. :thumbsup:

Oldsalt

Here are a couple of more reasons I like mini bikes:

-You can own, and store, a LOT more mini bikes than cars or even motorcycles.
-Folks with oversized egos [you know, the idiots that spend too much time thinking about their "immage"] don't get in the hobby and therefore don't have to be associated with.
-There is nothing that will make a child happier than their first mini bike. Nothing. They don't care about college funds and the like no mater the dollar value.
-It does not take a lot of skill or tools to build one from scratch. Ya can't as easily build a car or an airplane or a boat and etc..
-Repairing,building or restoring one does not take a long time. You can have a rideable machine [and get to start another project] in a reasonably short period of time.
-Basic parts i.e., wheels, bearings, clutches, chain, throttles and etc., are quickly available for really short money.
-Except for a few models the "Collectors" have not really discovered antique and vintage mini bikes. Honest, the prices are still VERY low in comparison to what they will be in the future. So it's currently easy to buy a nice, complete old school mini for the asking price [which seems like too much] and still be able to pat yourself on the back in a few years. For instance a 1914 Cyclone motorcycle sold for $520,000 and short time ago, so just give it some time.

oldsledz

I was deprived of a Mini Bike as a child! It sure seems to take a lot of them now to make up for not having 1 or 2 40 years ago!

One of my reasons is cost.

All my other motorsports related hobbies requires me to throw (multiples of) hundred dollar bills at 'em....

My mini bike projects only requires Tens & Twenties... and I seem to get the same amount of enjoyment out of building 'em.

My mini bikes don't require insurance policies either.

mardyn

Here are a couple of more reasons I like mini bikes:

-You can own, and store, a LOT more mini bikes than cars or even motorcycles.
-Folks with oversized egos [you know, the idiots that spend too much time thinking about their "immage"] don't get in the hobby and therefore don't have to be associated with.
-There is nothing that will make a child happier than their first mini bike. Nothing. They don't care about college funds and the like no mater the dollar value.
Man soo true. I remember my first minibike ride like it was yesterday.
A lot of people look at me like I have three heads when I talk about minibikes. They ask why don't I just get a Harley. If you have to ask that then you just don't understand, which is fine with me.
Minibikes make me smile.:wink:

I was deprived of a Mini Bike as a child! It sure seems to take a lot of them now to make up for not having 1 or 2 40 years ago!
I had the same problems as a kid. I am glad I had Friends with them and learn to ride bikes as a kid. My parents do not understand why my garage is full of minibikes, To this day they they still do not get it, My wife always tells them its there fault for making the monster. You deprive a kid long enough it doesn't kill there dreams, I'm almost 40 and I like minibikes as much as I did when I was a kid maybe more. When your riding your minibikes you forget the problems of the day and your magically transported the a simpler time in your life. Nothing better than the sound,smell and ride your classic minibike gives you. Just this weekend I went through a full tank of gas in my Rupp Hustler.

Because they make me smile and forget the problems of the day. They make my daughters smile and giggle everytime we go for a ride together. And all of the neighbors smile and wave when my daughters and I putt by... Life is all about those simple pleasures...

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I do it for 2 reasons. Fun hobby, and R&D.

The R&D has progressed so much over the years we have passed the karting guys about 2 years ago. The stuff I build today, they won't know about it until a year from now. I don't like to go over to there web site and post. When I do i'm called a know it all, or a a BS'er. But it's only people hating on me because they haven't gotten to that level yet.

The Hobby is just drag racing, it works like a engine dyno. We go to the local racing spot, and bring a bathroom scale. And race pound for pound to clearly see who has the most power, and who is the fastest.

Neck

Growing up is optional
So Charles..... when you say pound for pound, do you match rider weights or stack weight on the bikes?

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
So Charles..... when you say pound for pound, do you match rider weights or stack weight on the bikes?
Riders weight, I can tell you the weight of anyone you seen in any of my videos.
We try to get the weight close the first race, it's pound for pound. They after the looser usually get's space, or a lighter rider.

Amen!!!! My buddies all had them and i had to watch them. sometimes i got to ride thiers but my dad never let me have one of my own. Now my garage is filled