What Was Your First Mini bike ?

What mini bike did you have as a kid

Okay like it says, what did you guys have when y'all were kids ? My older brother had some no name bike with big handle bars and a 5hp briggs. In 1970 on a trip to my grandmothers in sunnyvale ca. we got a powell with 4hp tech . A friend of ours had a 5hp briggs top shifter powell . Back then they were the only powells we new of on the east coast. And one other thing our powell when our dad sold it had a 6hp tech and the rear sprocket had been cut off and replaced with one off a 175 yamaha . we want it faster , thus smaller sprocket. So if any body ever comes across a powell with the stock sprocket gone and a smaller one on it i would like to hear about it .:scooter:

I bought mine from the ABC store in Santa Ana, Calif. a red frame with a white Tecumce (?) engine...a non running demo Mini bike.

Modified it after just getting it home....pie pan head gasket, water pipe exhaust.....

Well I am still a kid and I have a '73 Keystone Deluxe, '72 Moto Skeeter 650, a DB30, and a Warrior. The first one I got was the DB30, I saved up $150 that I made cutting grass to buy it. :thumbsup:

45t

Cat/JcPenney Duster Chopper, gave it to a neighbor kid (wish I hadn't). 25 years later had to track one down and get one back in my garage.

I could not afford to buy one. My first (and only) minibike as a kid was the one I MADE in my junior high school metal shop in 1966 as my semester project.:hammer::grind: It actually did not turn out half bad! I remember that my dad donated an old tired (probably circa late 1940's) Briggs and Stratton 2.0 HP engine off a lawn mower for my powerplant. Working at some summer jobs for $$, I eventually upgraded to a newer model Briggs 3 HP, and finally a Mac 10 (open header pipe, no muffler:doah:). I was the terror (and headache, I'm sure for neighbors) of my "Upper Hastings Ranch" neighborhood in Pasadena, CA.:devil2:

I had Many mini's when i was a kid. from age 12 to 15 they were my main transportation. had a few Honda Trail 70's a few Rupps But really never noticed the brand name. if it had an engine & Wheels i was on it!..But the one rupp i remember the most, was my 71 Green scrambler..that thing was fast!..:scooter:

The most memories I have as a kid though were on my buddy at the time's Honda CT70

...and I have a pretty nice one of those nowadays too. As well as a pretty rough one that's cool because it's a 4 spd with a clutch. Should be a nice resto project.

Last edited:

jrzmac

My Uncle had a Fox Thunderbolt in the early 70's. I inherited it when I was about 10 or 11. Had it until I was about 15 or 16. I cracked the top off of one of the valves somehow, and took the engine apart. Only thing is at 16, I didn't really know how to fix it and put it back together. where it is now, who knows??? heres a few pics of me and my Uncle when I was a kid down at the Pine Barrens @ the Jersey Shore. these are about 1974-75??

heres another when I got a little older. maybe around 1985-86? I added a Kawi KE 100 by that time. The little 4 horses on the Fox just weren't doing the trick any more! so I had to move up, like most of us did!!!! btw, thats me with the skinny legs in the middle. you can tell the bikes were mine. I was the only one that didn't have to push them to wherever it was we were going!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: