80202 Briggs 3hp questions

new here

i just bought this engine

It appears to have been bolted to a board its whole life. This is backed up by the clear window in its oil pan

The engine code is model 80202 type 0016 01

Anyone know what vintage this engine is? Best place to find rebuild tune up parts?

Okay, hello, welcome to the forum. You got yourself a good engine, and yours looks in alot better condition than some of the ones I have made run. I am not good at decoding those ID tags but I believe from past experience it is a 1982 or 1983 and older up to...(I can't remember that exact year). Anyway, as for tune up info, does it run now? If not does it have spark? Are any parts missing? Answer these questions and it will be easier to help you find parts, heck maybe you don't even need any.

If you need help on how to check for spark and such just ask. :thumbsup: I just got a motor just like it running, mine was a 1979 I beleive.

Neck

Growing up is optional
first two numbers of the code are the year model, so it's a 77. not being from your area I would say you best bet is to find a Briggs dealer close to you on the net.

Thanks for the replies.

If i pull out the choke take off the air cleaner and put my hand over the intake it will idle for a short time. Otherwise it just sits there. I havent done anything else to the engine.

I know the tank needs to be cleaned out since the new gas in it has already turned dark yellow. Any tips on cleaning the tank and carberator?

It has spark. What should i check to make sure it is strong enough?

Put a new pump diaphram and gaskets on the carb. While you have the carb off the tank, check the fuel pick-up for clogs. Let the tank soak for a little while with carb cleaner, then rinse with fresh gas.

There is a little wire mesh screen on the fuel pick up in that goes form the carb to the tank, clean it, mine was clogged and caused my carb not to suck enough fuel to keep running.

It has spark. What should i check to make sure it is strong enough?
If it's a good blue color and pretty fat, it's good enough. If it's really thin looking or a yellowish color, it's too weak. If it sounds like it's running good when it fires and runs for a few seconds, your probably ok.

can you guys tell me what year this one is ...same engine model 80202 type 0080-01 STOP LMAO .... I JUST FIGURED OUT THAT THE DATE IS IN THE CODE !!

Rally, I'm not real good with this computer stuff. I tried to post two websites and they came out with what you see above. I'll try sending you a PM and maybe they will come through. Sorry for the SNAFU. Ogy