New Tires

I've got some new tires and tubes on order and I'm wondering what you u guys use to install them. I imagine minibike tires are real stiff when they're brand new. I cant imagine using a couple of screw drivers like I would a bicycle. I'm thinking I could bring them to a place like Goodyear. Unless there are some tips out there u could share?

trinik7597

guys at the local lawn mower shop have hooked me up a couple of times :thumbsup: they always like to hear what i am working on :laugh: but i have also done the screwdriver thing with good results on the one piece steel wheels

i have done the tire spoons a few times but this last wheel i took down to the lawn mower shop and paid $10. to get it mounted yeah just wasn't in to mood to fool with it. when the HF mini tire changer goes on sale i think i'll pop for one , there are some good video's on you tube on using it.

First off- no screwdrivers as you will most likely puncture the tubes.
Second- Forget about automotive tire shops as they will not touch them in my experiences.
Go to a full service lawnmower shop (we do) as it is just not worth the time and aggravation. Unless you are planning on changing lots of tires I would not bother with the HF tire changer.
Michael

Yes, forget screw drivers unless you like buying lots of tubes. Get spoons, but long ones. I now use vegetable oil instead of soap. I still poke holes sometimes.

In a pinch, I took some 8" wheels in to a tire shop. Cost me $5 each. Every tire shop I've seen does all sorts of trailer tires so is used to this kind of work.

I think the most important thing is to hold your lips right, and close the garage door so the neighbors don't here my yelling $$%(&*@# so much.

Screw drivers work fine , get an extra set of hand to help you , , put an axle bolt thru wheel to clamp down in a bench vise , use 2 large c-clamps about 4-5 inches apart and compress tire down all the way , this will get tube out of harms way and make getting tire on much easier , I use dish soap for lube ! I do tires in a matter of minutes , every time I see these tire threads I say I'll make a video to show how simple it truly is , one day I will !

CarPlayLB

Besides being extremely good looking, I must be freakishly strong! I use my hands to put on minibike tires. I do have a trick though. The first side of the bead normally goes on easily...right? I try to get the first installed bead closer to the taper in the center of the wheel, and then the second bead goes on easier. It gives enough room to easily finish the tire! Old karter trick...that I learned from YouTube!

Yes, forget screw drivers unless you like buying lots of tubes. Get spoons, but long ones. I now use vegetable oil instead of soap. I still poke holes sometimes.

In a pinch, I took some 8" wheels in to a tire shop. Cost me $5 each. Every tire shop I've seen does all sorts of trailer tires so is used to this kind of work.

I think the most important thing is to hold your lips right, and close the garage door so the neighbors don't here my yelling $$%(&*@# so much.
Good point abt the trailer tires. I hadn't thought about that. People aren't doing those at home. Thanks I will indeed bring the tires and wheels to the tire shop.

Good point abt the trailer tires. I hadn't thought about that. People aren't doing those at home. Thanks I will indeed bring the tires and wheels to the tire shop.
No, they're not. They're not installing new tires on 8 and 10 inch wheels with their hands. One thing I forgot to mention is that when I am installing tires, I am generally installing them on fresh chrome and paint. That really limits how much screwdriver action you can do.

Our hotrod club has a tire shop as one of our sponsors, (charity runs) so we get a discount, and they don't turn us away. We don't have a mower shop in town. Larger cities do, and in some litigious locales, I can see a tire shop's reluctance to mount non-automotive tires. There are also motorcycle shops- the people who do off road vehicles- who can do it.

No, they're not. They're not installing new tires on 8 and 10 inch wheels with their hands. One thing I forgot to mention is that when I am installing tires, I am generally installing them on fresh chrome and paint. That really limits how much screwdriver action you can do.

Our hotrod club has a tire shop as one of our sponsors, (charity runs) so we get a discount, and they don't turn us away. We don't have a mower shop in town. Larger cities do, and in some litigious locales, I can see a tire shop's reluctance to mount non-automotive tires. There are also motorcycle shops- the people who do off road vehicles- who can do it.
Dave is absolutely correct on fresh paint or chrome screwdrivers can tear up sum chit , lol

Axx3d

I just got dont doing some 6" tires by hand. I make sure the rubber is warm and use soap and screw drivers. I also put my tube in after i got the tire completely on. It is a bit of a wrestling match to get them in after, but you wont pinch them then..

No, they're not. They're not installing new tires on 8 and 10 inch wheels with their hands.
Speak for yourself:laugh:. I just did a set of 8" trailer tires on one piece steel wheels for my neighbor, at home, with my hands:thumbsup:. Earlier in the summer I dismounted a NOS pair of V tread 12" Tote gote type tires off of 12" one piece wheels. Plus I did all six ( three from the parts Tryke) tires on my Heald Hauler project at home. Those were a little challenging but I was able to do them by myself. The real pain is 4" tires on one piece wheels, but I hate to admit it I've have one of those HF changers for years and it does the job. Like any good project, use lots of lube:thumbsup:, dish soap works best. There are lots of tricks to use, but stay away from screw drivers unless you like scars, scratched paint and ruined tires and tubes.

If you don't want to mess with it yourself, go to a small engine shop and have them do it, they are set up for it and do it on a daily basis. A real tire shop (I worked at one for a long time) may do it, but will more than likely charge you more.

Last edited:

buckeye

Big Hands Mark.:laugh:

Even though my previous pre rookie days, I gave up.
In all honesty, I worked on getting tires off and not on for multiple weekends and finally just gave up.
Tire shop, 20 bucks. Deal! I'm never changing tires again.

Fast forward to last build. I bought some tire spoons, whatched a couple videos and I had the old tire off and new tire on in less than ten minutes.

Markg has it. It's a lot more of tire placement on the rim after you have the first side on.
Brute force isn't always the best way. Although, with my huge biceps, it's tough to keep the guns holstered.:laugh:
I am no master but, I feel confident, I can change them now.