OND's - Bonanza - (Vintage Open)


I'm not painting mine till I see yours first..:no:...you and I are in this together my friend ! We need to get busy TOM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grind::hammer::weld::hack::hammer:

You going with the metallic pink again. Lol
If you don't slow done a little bit you will be the first one done....... You were the first one entered so I guess that would be appropriate....

Its looking good Eric. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Not much minibikeing for me this week... I am helping a friend frame an addition on his house. We are hoping to get the roof done today.

Installing the brake system. You would think this would be pretty easy right ? :no: Ended up using the most of the day measure and cutting spacers. Oh and if the centered hole in the brake drum was truly centered and the drum didn't have some walk out to it things would half been a lot smoother .

Clocking the lever....where would you put it for the most leverage ...9:00 ? 12:00 or some where else ?

I guess it depends a lot on what your frame or swing arm in this case will let you do. I'm shooting for 11:00 or 12:00 on the lever pivot point.
But first things first....I need a spacer to space the braking plate off of the drum. I used the spacer that I already had made and marketed it off with a file laying on the sprocket area of the drum. I knew it wouldn't be exactly right...but close enough for a starting point.

With the spacer cut and the brake system laying on top of it ...it was close, but I want to put as much of the shoe area in the drum that I can for that little extra stopping power.

I ended up flipping the bolts and nuts so the bolt heads would be on the drum side for as much clearance as I could get.

This is what I ended up with, and it rolls and seems to stop ok , but the real test will be the first ride.

Thanks guys !

Finished up the brake system today and I'm glad that's over ! Did a lot more tweaking and got the brake cable thingy (thanks pat ) cut off and moved more towards the rear. Just need the right length cable and a lever.

Also had a little time to make up some 7/8 foot pegs.

It was a good day.....weather wise and work wise , temps stayed up and humidity stayed down. I got some color on this Bonanza ......and no its not BLUE. Started on it yesterday evening and finished it up this evening. Oh and the pic doesn't show the real color....its orange. This is also my FEBUARY update.
Maybe a outside pic tomorrow, if the weather permits.

Last edited: