Rupp 72, 1968 TT-500, Vintage Class, OldMiniBikes Build Off 16'

Rupp 72

So the frame i want to use is powdercoated red, i want to paint the bime the original metallic red from 1968. Can i prime and paint over the powdercoated frame or is it best to try and sand blast the powder coat off, get it down to bare metal and start from scratch? Anybody have ideas or experience with this? And to clarify, this will be a high end, two stage, base clear paint, not a rattlecan job...

Last edited:
So the frame i want to use is powdercoated red, i want to paint the bime the original metallic red from 1968. Can i prime and paint over the powdercoated frame or is it best to try and sand blast the powder coat off, get it down to bare metal and start from scratch? Anybody have ideas or experience with this? And to clarify, this will be a high end, two stage, base clear paint, not a rattlecan job...
You can paint over the PC as long as you scuff it and seal it, as if you were painting over body work. It's a good base actually. Then again, if you're investing the time and effort for a two stage job, (which I applaud) you may rethink it and blast it just to "do it right?"

Davis

It is not a very good idea to paint over pc as it is to rigid to adhere to I've tried it a bunch and didn't work out so good on a automotive side it's about as bad as painting over chrome.

Rupp 72

Thanks you two, I've heard both sides before but it sounds like i'm going to play it safe and blast the frame to bare metal. I wonder how hard it will be to sandblast powder coat?

Any shop with a commercial sand blast booth can take that PC of like nothing. I had a frame with some kind of PC on it that was like plastic. I tried to strip it with aircraft paint stripper, and no go. It just made a gooey mess. I then tried to use my big blast cabinet. That want enough to get it off either. My local powered coat shop gpt it all off, no problem. I'm still look'n for a clutch cover for my TT, if ya wanna let one go? Hint hint!

The question was "can" I paint over PC. Not "should" I or "would you" paint over PC. LOL. I assumed we were talking a bit of PC, not a complete bike's worth. It's not like painting over chrome. If you can blast it, blast it.

Best chrome prices for hardware I've seen are out of "Bolt Depot." I've ordered from them several times. They have a lot of other hard ware as well.

https://www.boltdepot.com/Catalog.aspx

Rupp 72

This just came in the mail today! So nice i almost don't want to take it out of the packaging... oh well, should make the bike look great!