Heald VT-3, OldMiniBikes Build Off, Vintage Class

OK, today is neck bearing day. I learned the ways from the Great Minibike Jedi, Ogy-Wan Kenobi. (Ogygopsis for the new guys). The difference in ID of the tube and OD of the bearing should be .003" to no more than .004". Usually the bearing is .010" or as much as .020" too big making it a bear to set in and sometimes breaking the bearing. This causes pressure around the bearing and the 5/8" hole will actually tighten. So to get to that .003"-004" one has to surface grind, file or use a lathe.

First, take the ID dimension of the tube. In this case .806"

Next, the OD dimension of the bearing. .817

I made a mandrel to hold the bearing in a Unimat lathe.

Chuck it up in the lathe and begin turning to no more than .810", preferably .809".

The finished bearing cut to .809".

I made another mandrel just for the purpose of setting in the bearing without damage to the surface. I can whack this one without destroying my original mandrel.

Here I am beginning to set the bearing...

and here is the final set. Snug but not too tight.

May the Force be with you.
Doc

Last edited:
Stuck again....

Well...I had a new axle sent because I changed the lower fork legs from first generation to second and the axle needs to be a little over 1" longer. Two days ago I was celebrating that I had all my parts and I could start moving forward. Silly me. Murphy's law always needs to be mixed in. I'm about to break down and buy a Grizzly 9x19 variable bench lathe and keep this stuff all in house.

The front axle I received is out of stainless and when the threads were put on using a die, apparently the stainless galled and tore the threads off or the back up of metal never allowed the threads to be cut. You can clearly see the change in color when the galling began. So, back to the drawing board to see if I can get another one.

I did start playing with the cadmium plater last light with mixed results. The kickstand came out pretty good. The bbrake backing plate not so much.

This plating thing is going to take some time to learn. Soon though I should be good to go with all of the little parts.

Doc

Last edited:
Just had a chance to read all of the way through. Great detail! Appreciate the how-to on the neck bushings--the Gilson/Wards has them and I removed 'em for the powder coating. :thumbsup:

Things are moving along a little bit again. All of the plating is done and I got the kickstand and the foot pegs on. The plating took a little time to figure out but it was worth the time. All of the hardware is new but any part that was unique to the bike was made pretty much like new by the process. I have to get the handlebars drilled and get the tires on and I will pretty much have a roller.

I lost my light for better pictures so here is what I have.

Some of the plated parts...

Just setting things on top for now to get a feel for what it looks like...

I still have a ways to go but things have turned the corner and it's time to start assembling. The paint is a lot more delicate than the powder coat I have always done. This is going to take patience. It's easily scratched.

Rick, thank you so much for the kickstand. I took it apart and replated it and looking at it, it had no wear. It truly is like an NOS stand now. Also thank you again for the other items which will be the parts to make this a show stopper. I couldn't have done this without your help.

Doc

Last edited:
Doc...all I can say ..is I'm glad that I'm not in the Vintage class . This going to be one Beautiful Mini ! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
LOL, thanks guys. All I want to do is throw it together real quick to see how it looks and that would be the mistake of the decade. I have to keep telling myself one step at a time and go slow. Get it right the first time.

Doc

Love that blue,what shade is it?
Hi Mike,

The color is Ford Tractor Blue.

Since most of the records were lost when Heald was sold to Ron Kimball, Powertec, no one really knows the true color of the blue bikes. The red ones were painted International Harvester Red. Well, some years back, Ron Kimball and Carl Heald sat down and discussed this very problem over a couple of iced teas. After much back and forth, their final thoughts were Ford Tractor Blue. BUT....they are not 100% sure. Another great Ron Kimball story. (I could spend days listening to him talk)

Doc

P.S. I would like to thank EVERYONE for all of the nice comments. They sure make a guy feel good!

Last edited:
What a beautiful bike Doc!! Love your write up....easy/informative reading with some comical sprinklings!! That chrome is just gorgeous with the blue!! Keep up the fantastic work your almost done!! :thumbsup: