Heald VT-3, OldMiniBikes Build Off, Vintage Class

We have a roller!

Two months to the day! OK, the front is put together and works pretty darn well. I think I used close to a half a can of grease in the tubes. Should be good for a while lol. I used fork boots from a Honda Z50. As far as I can see that's the best replacement. I think the idea was from Rick Chatten. Thank you Rick! I think I'll stop by a transmission shop Monday or Tuesday and see if I can get some boot clamps. They usually have ones that look great compared to hose clamps. All of the hardware is either stainless or chrome. I keep thinking I should have put the Turf tire on the front instead of the original style but it seems to me not to look quite right. It's kind of amusing but if I stand the bike up with the kickstand up it's pretty stable. I'm sure with the engine in I'll need the stand lol. I still have to make the little 90 degree bracket that holds the front of the rear fender on. I hope to have that done tonight and the fender permanently attached. There is still a whole lot of work left but it's coming together.

I always find it amazing that between the start and the roller phase just how much stuff is laying around all over the place. Once the roller is done, the bench is clear :laugh:. I for one am glad to finally have a clear bench. I'm feeling just a touch of burn out. I think tomorrow I'll pull up a chair and say "OOH AHH, very pretty, very pretty"...then it's back to work.

Doc

Last edited:
Thanks guys!!!

Well, here are a few pictures with everything hanging on the bike. What's left? No cables yet. I had a really bad time lining up the transmission but that is mostly solved now. I have to chuck the jack shaft in a lathe and cut a groove for one more C clip to hold the driven on. I am about 3/8" short on the length to put a collar on, so it's a C clip. I have to service the engine and I think it will be time to get it off of the table and started.

Doc

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I appreciate very much all of the kind comments.

It's been a lot of work to get it this far and now another step back. I have had a terrible time with the alignment on this thing. I changed the drive from a TC-88 to a Comet 30. The driven mechanics are on different sides and that means the jack shaft is too short to use a collar to hold it on. I could make a new longer shaft but for now I have decided to put a groove in the end for an E-clip to hold it on. Another option was to drill the jack shaft and bolt the end of it but I just feel way too lazy. So tomorrow I am going down to a friends shop and I'll chuck it into his lathe and put a groove in. I have to tell you that with the engine in the frame, there isn't much room to work on the transmission. Anyway, a few pictures of the empty tranny and the jack shaft assembly laid out (so I can remember how to put it back together lol).

Doc