Predator 212cc Throttle Cable Screw Stripped

That yellow circled screw/bolt is another place to put the cable? I didn't realize that until you said it... Words can't describe the feeling I'm experiencing right now. Looking at my engine, it doesn't LOOK rusted/stuck.. let's see if that one comes loose without an issue and if so, I think you might have just came up with a solution that makes me feel like a grade-A dumbass.
Not the yellow circled one. The one not circled to the left of the red one.

Sorry! I know what you meant, I don't know why I thought it was the yellow circled one, and yes, I found the clamp and everything, I now have the cable cover nice and secure, and I have the other screw out, so it SHOULD be smooth sailing from here :laugh:

I appreciate all the help guys, really. Thanks for putting up with a newbie. Now lets hope I don't run into anything else! lol

True dat! Nothing worse than a stuck open throttle on a deathtrap with a scrub brake and no kill switch! :laugh::laugh:
I've already had that problem! haha! It was already tight like that and I had to manually push the throttle back every time I wanted to idle XD That would explain why it was so tight.

Good news is, I got the cable all wired up through the bolt and everything! Bad news is, now I can't remember how to put the handlebar part of the throttle back together properly... Time for some YouTube vids I guess! lol.

Okay, I'm sure you will figure that out pretty easily.

More important is stopping. It looks like you could install a clutch brake pretty easily. This kit will give you a clutch guard as well: (Might look expensive but if you are paying $30 for a rear tire installed the savings will add up quick!)

https://www.OldMiniBikes.com/universal-clutch-band-brake-kit.html?category_id=161

Lever & cable:

https://www.OldMiniBikes.com/7-8-brake-lever-cable-kit.html

Kill switch if you don't already have one:

https://www.OldMiniBikes.com/Kill-Switch-with-48-Lead-Wire.html?category_id=15

I'm starting to get a little fed up with this bike already.... The cable won't even fit into the throttle assembly. The ball on the end is too fat to fit into the hole in the handle. I can't even get the assembly together with the cable resting in the groove. I thought a bicycle break cable would work?... Guess not?

I give up for the night. I'm getting frustrated enough to break this thing at this point. Youtube was a waste of time too, No video that actually shows how to put the cable into the handle properly, and if they DO, they're so far away from the camera you can't see what the heck they're doing...

Goodnight all, I guess I'll try again after work tomorrow. Really wanted to get this damn thing running tonight. Been sitting for a week nearly all because the friggin throttle cable.

Last edited:
You may be able to file the barrel end down to fit your throttle or better yet just buy the correct cable:

https://www.OldMiniBikes.com/Throttle-Cable-60-Inner-Cable-55-Conduit.html
No luck with filing it... Just going to have to order the damn cable when I get paid on Thursday, I guess.. Can't believe I keep running into crap like this. What I thought was going to be a straight forward 5-10 minute fix has been keeping me busy for at least a few hours a day for the past week, and it STILL isn't close to being fixed. I'm just impatient. I just love riding that damn thing, and am just itching to get back to it!
:laugh:

Okay, I'm sure you will figure that out pretty easily.

More important is stopping. It looks like you could install a clutch brake pretty easily. This kit will give you a clutch guard as well: (Might look expensive but if you are paying $30 for a rear tire installed the savings will add up quick!)

https://www.OldMiniBikes.com/universal-clutch-band-brake-kit.html?category_id=161

Lever & cable:

https://www.OldMiniBikes.com/7-8-brake-lever-cable-kit.html

Kill switch if you don't already have one:

https://www.OldMiniBikes.com/Kill-Switch-with-48-Lead-Wire.html?category_id=15
I might get the clutch brake. I was actually thinking about a clutch brake as opposed to having to deal with trying to set up something on the tire and everything that entails. I'd keep the scrub brake as a backup, since it's operated with a foot pedal. If I'm not mistaken, if your chain slips/brakes, your clutch brake doesn't work at all, right? Or am I misinterpreting how it works? It wouldn't hurt to keep it on there either way.

As for the Kill switch, I have a switch already, but I don't know if it can be used as a kill switch?

It's a switch that can switch in two opposite directions, but always returns to center. It has two white wires coming out of it. It came with the bike, the wires are just dangling. The owner mentioned he was going to wire it as a kill switch, but never did, but who knows?

I really appreciate all your help guys. It's been absolutely needed.

Last edited:
No luck with filing it... Just going to have to order the damn cable when I get paid on Thursday, I guess.. Can't believe I keep running into crap like this. What I thought was going to be a straight forward 5-10 minute fix has been keeping me busy for at least a few hours a day for the past week, and it STILL isn't close to being fixed. I'm just impatient. I just love riding that damn thing, and am just itching to get back to it!
:laugh:
I'm sure I have an extra cable you could have in the meantime. :thumbsup: And you have to like working on them as much as you like riding them, or you are in the wrong hobby :laugh:

I might get the clutch brake. I was actually thinking about a clutch brake as opposed to having to deal with trying to set up something on the tire and everything that entails. I'd keep the scrub brake as a backup, since it's operated with a foot pedal. If I'm not mistaken, if your chain slips/brakes, your clutch brake doesn't work at all, right? Or am I misinterpreting how it works? It wouldn't hurt to keep it on there either way.
Correct, I would add the clutch brake and keep the scrubber installed.

As for the Kill switch, I have a switch already, but I don't know if it can be used as a kill switch?

It's a switch that can switch in two opposite directions, but always returns to center. It has two white wires coming out of it. It came with the bike, the wires are just dangling. The owner mentioned he was going to wire it as a kill switch, but never did, but who knows?

I really appreciate all your help guys. It's been absolutely needed.
If it has normally open contacts that close when actuated, it can be used as a kill switch. Wiring goes from coil -> N.O. switch -> ground. In parallel with the existing switch on the front of the engine.

You are welcome for the help, any time. :thumbsup:

I'm sure I have an extra cable you could have in the meantime. :thumbsup: And you have to like working on them as much as you like riding them, or you are in the wrong hobby :laugh:
That'd be awesome of you! Yeah, I hear ya, I hear ya... It's not that I don't like working on em, I'm just ready to get back on the road! :laugh: It'd help if I had the right equipment too, Haha.
Correct, I would add the clutch brake and keep the scrubber installed.
Sounds like a plan!

If it has normally open contacts that close when actuated, it can be used as a kill switch. Wiring goes from coil -> N.O. switch -> ground. In parallel with the existing switch on the front of the engine.

You are welcome for the help, any time. :thumbsup:
Might as well try hooking it up and see if it works, if it does, great, if not, just another couple bucks to get a proper one.

Thanks for all the help! :thumbsup:

Six pages to get a screw out?
I thought this was one of my threads..:laugh:
Keep at it man. You will get it.
Funniest thing is, I never even got the screw out that I started the thread over! :laugh: I just found another one that can be used thanks to another member here pointing it out to me, lol. At least a solution has been found that doesn't involve rigging, so I'm happy. I'll be even happier once I get the whole thing back together when I get the proper cable! :laugh:

Last edited:
To everyone who was wondering how this would turn out, Ken (minikenny) came by today!

Not ONLY did he get the stubborn screw unstuck...We (he) got the throttle hooked up with a cable he gave me, fixed up a spring so it would return properly (Something it never did since I got it) AND wired up the kill switch!

I'm such a happy camper this evening!

Thank again, so much Ken! You're the man! :bowdown:

By the way, I did take it out for a test run like I told you, and it runs perfect! throttle stayed on great and didn't slip, and the kill switch worked perfectly. Now to get that spring for the scrub brake, and to get that clutch brake ordered once payday rolls around!

Last edited:
OK...so how did Kenny get the screw out ? Glad you guys got it going for you.
After a few unsuccessful tries with the vice grips I bought, he busted out ones of a different type, and after a try or two, he managed to get the sucker off.

Let's just chalk it up to "I loosened it up for him" :laugh: